Fins Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you had any issues with the middle part breaking down?
I’ve had mine since 2012, roughly 400 dives and still going strong. Some people like the gorillas as they are a bit stiffer, but I’ve no issues cruising around a reef or chasing people in my standard pair

Another vote for the Quattros...they're not the newest or fanciest, they just work, mine are 20+ years, hundreds of dives and still going strong...my "test" of gear is that if you never think about it while diving, it's doing it's job well...

My 11 year old son and I both had Novas to start out with and don't get me wrong they are a very nice fin and although they don't look like it they are very comfortable to wear. We tried Atomic Blades and settled on them. They are more powerful and they also frog kick very well. You can frog kick with the Novas, but it takes some practice. The curved edge wants to go up or down in the water when you move the front of the fin side to side. Not a problem with the Atomics, your first frog kicks will be easy and spot on. The blades are a powerful and fast fin, but my son is only 11, doesn't have fully developed leg muscles yet and still he has no problems and loves them. I like a powerful fin and I think if I had bought the "gorilla" version of the Novas I might still be using those. The only thing is when you are diving in a group you might need to frog kick to slow down, this is where the Atomics are great...powerful, fast and easy to frog kick.

Hi Kim, sorry for the delayed response. No, I have not had any issues with foot cramps. I did use to have pain in my lower back when I had the IDI frog fins because they were 100% rubber and 2-3lbs negative in the water. I had to constantly work to keep my fins off the bottom. Have not had any issues with the Quattros. I find them to be an overall great fin for my different kicking styles - frog for muck diving, and the normal kick when in open water.

For people going into OW, how about just find a pair from Craiglist for cheap. In OW, you won't swim much. Once you are certified, after a some dives, you will finger our what you are looking for. Could it be instant propulsion, precise control, efficient for long swim, heavy pair, light pair, ... you can them buy the one that does what you want.

Nova is kind of expansive and have a unique behavior, if after some dives, you figure you need something else, such as heavy fins that is good for precise control, it will be quite expansive to make a change. I made the same mistake.

@Kim Holland - I have had problems with foot/toe cramping. It's almost certainly a dehydration issue for me. The doc said it's probably either not enough magnesium (I take supplements already) or dehydration. I've noticed a pattern, that if I'm not drinking enough water that's when the cramps hit - and it hurts SO much! And of course, when I fly I don't want to have to use the loo on the flight … but it's that or be in pain. FWIW.

Oh, and I also have and like the Seawing Novas. I don't think I have a good frog kick, but I do use them to do a frog kick. :wink:

Avanti for me too. A little flick of the toes and a six foot glide. Effortless in water but like clown feet on dry land.

Another vote for the Avanti Quattros. I have two pairs of them (one for warm water diving and a larger pair for drysuit diving). I also have the Avanti Superchannels in full-foot that I used for snorkeling before I got dive certified. They are great too and just slightly less stiff if you think you might have cramping issues with the Quattros.

FWIW, I tend to get cramps when I flutter kick but not when I frog kick. But I hardly ever flutter kick anyway because it feels weird to me. Maybe trying a different kick technique will help alleviate the cramping issue?

For maximum power with minimum effort, look at some free diving fins. Mako has some very good prices. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, and I've got pairs of Novas, Deep 6 eddy, and Hollis F1 bat fins. The others are great fins that have their place, but for recreational open water, drift diving, and spear fishing it's pretty much only free diving fins for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom