Compass mounting options - looking for something else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a Sherwood triple console; depth, pressure, and compass. I have this lashed to a retractable on my BCD, and with the retractable ring looped to the inside section of the console, it always is a pain when flipping it over to view the other side. Additionally, when navigating and holding the compass out in front, it's at the very last extension of the retractable's extended length. I don't really like trying to maintain this position, because it can be exerting at times.

I'd like to simplify so that my console is a more streamlined two gauge setup and my compass is mounted elsewhere. I will be taking my AOW cert in the coming future, and I would like to have my new setup sorted by then. I have just received the Suunto SK8 in the wrist band version, but even still, I'm not sure this is what I want. I mean, even when mounted on my wrist, this does not put the compass in a position that is inline with my body direction unless I bring my arm closer to my chest so that my forearm is perpendicular across my body.

Is there not any kind of strap, device, accessory, or gizmo that lets you have the compass mounted on your wrist but allows you to rotate the ENTIRE compass so that the lubber line is inline with yourself? Ideally you can adjust its cant depending on how you position your hands in front of you.

Surely there are others that are bothered by this. What's your solution? Is there a product?

I bought a DGX Delux Pro campass for the depth (thickness from the side). I rigged it on a quick release clip and ran the thin bungies to give me the alignment I want when I slip it on my right hand.

Before I splash I take a bearing (heading? I get them confused) and set the bezel & lubber and clip it to my harness. When I want to navigate back to the shore/boat I unclip it and slip the bungie over my right hand. I'll then check my direction periodically between points ahead on my intended path.

I keep my compass in the pocket of my BCD. I did use it once for a few seconds on our last trip.

We dive high viz water so it is easy to tell shallow from deep, especially if you are doing a wall dive.

How often do you expect to use the compass?

I dive a suunto sk8 in a bungee mount on the back of my left hand. i find it relaxing to dive with my hands slightly forward with my left hand clasping my right hand just in front of the wrist as my default dive position. With my vyper air in a bungee mount on my right wrist/forearm, this puts my computer and my compass in perfect view. If you dive with a computer there is no need for the depth gauge and you can drop your console down to a single gauge of just you spg...that will streamline what is on your high pressure hose, put the compass in better position for navigation, and meet all of what seems to be your objectives.

-Z

Mine is clipped to top right D ring, has a retractable cord. Easy to find and deploy,easy to release and stow.

Have mine bungeed to my left forearm. The lubber line is in-line with my forearm. I slightly extend my arm making sure the compass is level and take reading. When I did the cross-arm technique, as taught in OW classes, the compass was too close to my eyes and I could not read the compass (aging eyes).

"For a year I kept a 99 cent compass wired to my dive computer strap. Able to adjust it any angle. Fluid filled plastic , they work perfectly underwater. "

So there's TWO OF US!

For years I used a cheap autostore "ball" compass that way. Hey, I'm not orienteering with it, four directions is good enough. Finally spent money on a good Suunto...in theory...and wouldn't you know it jammed under pressure the first time I dove with it.

Back to the 99 cent old reliable. Smaller, simpler, happier.

Of course if the two of us ever went out on the same boat, we'd probably cause massive heart failure among the gearheads and instructors on the boat.(G)

I wear mine in a DSS mount, a top my right hand, laced in such a way orientation is correct without having to unclasp hands or contort. I can post photos if anyone's interested.

The DSS mounts have enough holes that you can lace a variety of ways to suit, some of the copies do not.

Back
Top Bottom