underwater communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How do I get the attention of a buddy who doesn't hear well? I've tried a tank banger and an Aquatec Sub-Alert. He doesn't hear either of those. Usually I have to swim up to him and grab his fin. If I were in trouble, that might not work very well.

I had someone tell me a wrench hitting your tank will get anyone's attention
It's one of my fears if I needed to I want to get someone's attention

How do I get the attention of a buddy who doesn't hear well? I've tried a tank banger and an Aquatec Sub-Alert. He doesn't hear either of those. Usually I have to swim up to him and grab his fin. If I were in trouble, that might not work very well.

I'll be the first to say it. If you are concerned that you might need him if you get in trouble, then you need to be within one fin kick of him at all times so you can do that. Any farther and he is not your "buddy" as you are not diving in a team. You are now "same ocean" buddies, vs. teammates. I have no objection to diving as same ocean buddies, I do that with most of my dive buddies, but I also don't think about relying on them for anything. If I am in trouble, they're there to make it easier, but I expect to be able to get myself out on my own. If I suspect I might "need" them vs "want" them to help me out of a bind, then our buddy positioning becomes much closer

Maybe use an underwater laser? Could shine it in front of him, might travel further and be more noticeable as a signal than flashlight ..?

Okay, his hearing is bad. How is his eye sight?

I was taught that buddies need to make regular eye contact. As well as being close. Close enough that it is fairly easy to poke them with a finger. The 1 fin kick is a useful rule of thumb for maximum separation.

Okay, his hearing is bad. How is his eye sight?

I was taught that buddies need to make regular eye contact. As well as being close. Close enough that it is fairly easy to poke them with a finger. The 1 fin kick is a useful rule of thumb for maximum separation.

@victorzamora how often do we make eye contact on a 3+ hour cave dive? like 4-5 times?

I rarely make eye contact, it's not necessary. Their eyes don't say much since their hands are doing the talking....

His eyesight is fine. But he's a photographer.

photographers are NOT dive buddies. they are solo divers, end
If you are diving with them, you are either same ocean diving, i.e. solo diving together, or you are his safety diver. There is no team diving with photographers

Back
Top Bottom