Lauderdale-by-the-sea Aug 4 - Aug 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NancyLynn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in LBTS from mid-afternoon Aug 4 to the wee hours of the morning on Aug 12 for a conference in Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm hoping to get some diving in. I'm (mostly) not carrying my own gear, so I'll need to rent. (Too bulky to fly - and I wasn't able to get most of it serviced in time.) I'd love to try out a backplate with wings - but the one dive shop I contacted doesn't rent them. Ayone know where I might rent one?

I'm also looking for dive buddies. I haven't dived in this particular ocean before - so I prefer to go with someone who knows the ropes. I see there are dive-meetups for shore dives nearly every morning through Gold Coast - anyone know how frequently they actually materialize?

If you're interested in diving with a new buddy - I'm AOW certified, and have 100+ dives under by belt - but they are spread out over 15 years or so (Austrailia, Monterey, Seattle, Vancouver, Cozumel, Smith Mountain Lake (VA), quaries in Ohio). I'm likely to flap my wings far too much on my first dive, but it doesn't take me long to get my dive legs back - and once I do I'm a decent, relatively low air use buddy. (My last dives were in 10/2016 in Cozumel). I'm more interested in watching lobsters than in catching them (added since I've seen that Monday is the first day of lobster season). (I also have a snorkeler with me - if, like me, you're paired with a non-diver who would like a snorkel buddy.)

I'm likely to be free Monday & Tuesday mornings, Tuesday after around 4, and could be free Friday - maybe Sunday (the 5th). Free most evenings - but my spouse will be unhappy if I spend them all diving :).

Check out Gold Coast Scuda's meet up.com group. They dive regularly at LBTS. Its also a good shop to rent from.... Don't know if they have wings though. Force -E is also a good shop, again don't know,if they rent wings

I see there are dive-meetups for shore dives nearly every morning through Gold Coast - anyone know how frequently they actually materialize?

Once a week perhaps, maybe. Gold Coast shop also has guides for hire.

Thanks!

Check out Gold Coast Scuda's meet up.com group. They dive regularly at LBTS. Its also a good shop to rent from.... Don't know if they have wings though. Force -E is also a good shop, again don't know,if they rent wings

I've heard good things about them, so I started there. Unfortuately, they don't have wings.

Once a week perhaps, maybe. Gold Coast shop also has guides for hire.

That's what I was afraid of - I had asked a follow-up question (since their initial repsonse was to link me to the meetups I'd already found). I haven't heard back about how often they actually materialize - but daily dives seemed too good to be true.

Thanks!

I've heard good things about them, so I started there. Unfortuately, they don't have wings.

I don't know anyone who does.

That's what I was afraid of - I had asked a follow-up question (since their initial repsonse was to link me to the meetups I'd already found). I haven't heard back about how often they actually materialize - but daily dives seemed too good to be true.

Even the weekend can be hit or miss. For example, 3 people signup and only you show up...Has happened to me before. Can't hurt to sign up though. :) and if someone else does signup, I would send them a message on meetup to say hi, confirm it, etc.

You can also hire a guide.... That will make sure someone shows up.

You can also throw it a few boat dives.... South Florida Dive HQ, Pompano Dive Center, Scubatyme are all operators I've used and enjoyed. Force E also acts as a broker and can get you on other boats

I don't know anyone who does.

It looks like Pompano Dive Center does - but the info is hard to find, and it is in an odd place. I'll have to contact them and see.

Even the weekend can be hit or miss. For example, 3 people signup and only you show up...Has happened to me before. Can't hurt to sign up though. :) and if someone else does signup, I would send them a message on meetup to say hi, confirm it, etc.

Good idea.

You can also hire a guide.... That will make sure someone shows up.

I'm trying to avoid the extra expense, but it may not be necessary. I managed to arrange dives in Seattle via ScubaBoard a few years ago.

You can also throw it a few boat dives.... South Florida Dive HQ, Pompano Dive Center, Scubatyme are all operators I've used and enjoyed. Force E also acts as a broker and can get you on other boats

One of the attractions of this particular location was the ability to dive from the beach - which lets me plan my own schedule with shorter periods blocked off away from the conference (which I'm being paid to attend) and my spouse (who is tired of me attending conferences, working, and in general putting a lot of things ahead of family). But I might need to.

Thanks for the recommendations - I always like to have recomendations from people - even if I only know them via ScubaBoard.

I would call the guys at Gold Coast. They don't bite, honest. They probably can put you in direct contact with some of their regulars, or find other ways to be helpful about making sure you get to dive. And they'll have advice about parking. The meters can be used with a cell phone and credit card, but the parking by the beach access can be in very high demand. They'll be able to clue you in about that.

I would call the guys at Gold Coast. They don't bite, honest. They probably can put you in direct contact with some of their regulars, or find other ways to be helpful about making sure you get to dive. And they'll have advice about parking. The meters can be used with a cell phone and credit card, but the parking by the beach access can be in very high demand. They'll be able to clue you in about that.
Thanks!

I started there (ahead of arriving) - and I'll head over there tomorrow morning. So far they've been less responsive to specific questions than other folks with similar reputations - but I'm not giving up on them. (And on Tuesay morning I have a lead for a place that may be able to rent me a backplate with wings.)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom