Shuttle or Taxi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's less than a hundred yards, there is a sidewalk and if spending a couple minutes in the hot sun bothers you, you probably are vacationing in the wrong place. I suppose the idea of walking with a rolling bag may not interest some folks, but doesn't seem that challenging to me. It's off the airport property and the "local authorities" haven't "shut it down" yet. In fact, I get picked up by the first free cab that goes by every time. I bet I'm at my hotel before the first van leaves.

But do what ever floats yer boat. Personally, I prefer not to be jammed in a van like sardines.
The local authorities have indeed shut it down in the past. There has been a police car out there waving taxis through the circle preventing them from stopping. It may not happen all that often but it does happen, mostly, I surmise, when so many people are doing what you are talking about that it causes a traffic problem. You might not want to talk about it too much. What you are advising only works when not many people do it; if everyone did it you'd never get a cab out there. :D

I've already been packed like a sardine in a plane for a couple of hours getting down there, so a few more minutes doesn't bother me at all. I also travel with my wife, three 50# rolling bags, and two carry ons, so it's not a trivial endeavor to hoof it out there. And I have been to Cozumel 30 or 40 times, so I know where I am vacationing and what works for me. As for the time, I am on island time from the moment my bags are checked, so getting to the hotel a few minutes earlier isn't an incentive.

But whatever. It's an option, just not one that I would ever use.

BTW, I just measured it on Google Earth. You are correct, it isn't 100 yards. It's 216 yards.

I've already been packed like a sardine in a plane for a couple of hours getting down there, so a few more minutes doesn't bother me at all. I also travel with my wife, three 50# rolling bags, and two carry ons, so it's not a trivial endeavor to hoof it out there. And I have been to Cozumel 30 or 40 times, so I know where I am vacationing and what works for me. As for the time, I am on island time from the moment my bags are checked, so getting to the hotel a few minutes earlier isn't an incentive.

This is absolutely a factor. I travel with two ladies. We usually go 7-10 days at a time. And they like to dress up. So that means 3 suitcases of clothing, 3 bags of dive gear, and a couple carry on bags. Dragging all that a couple hundred yards to save a few bucks, when we're already spending $5000 or so, just doesn't appeal at all.

This is absolutely a factor. I travel with two ladies. We usually go 7-10 days at a time. And they like to dress up. So that means 3 suitcases of clothing, 3 bags of dive gear, and a couple carry on bags. Dragging all that a couple hundred yards to save a few bucks, when we're already spending $5000 or so, just doesn't appeal at all.
What works for one doesn't for another. I've seen people with just a carry on blow past the luggage carousel so they are through Customs before anyone else has got their checked bags. There's no point in their waiting for a shuttle; it could be a half hour or more before the first one leaves, so they hoof it to the circle and get a cab. I get it, but I am just not one of those people.

Don't you already drag it hundreds of yards through the airports?

Not I. The longest full load drag I/we have to do is at the very end of the trip from the baggage claim out to the taxi stand in the AUS airport. It's maybe 100 yards, but we take it slow and take breaks. The rest are much shorter.

What works for one doesn't for another. I've seen people with just a carry on blow past the luggage carousel so they are through Customs before anyone else has got their checked bags. There's no point in their waiting for a shuttle; it could be a half hour or more before the first one leaves, so they hoof it to the circle and get a cab. I get it, but I am just not one of those people.

Did I say everybody should do exactly what I do? I don't seem to recall saying that. I think I said that how much baggage you're bringing is a factor in deciding if you want to hike off the airport grounds.

No. The Cozumel airport isn't that big, to begin with. From the carousel to the street is less than 100 yards. At larger airportrs like DIA or DFW I pile it all on a big cart, which makes it easy. And is not an option when you're hiking off the airport grounds at Cozumel.

Did I say everybody should do exactly what I do? I don't seem to recall saying that. I think I said that how much baggage you're bringing is a factor in deciding if you want to hike off the airport grounds.
Did you miss the fact that I was agreeing with you? :D

Holy crap!!!

For me and the boss, it's 2 checked bags with our dive gear, (all of it, including BCD's), and 2 carry-ons for 11 - 14 days.:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom