New addition to Boca Raton's 30' Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the update...how long do you think it will take to become a viable reef...(5yrs?)....is it to far out to be a beach/shore dive?

Knowing the area, I would say there is already fish on it. Just North of a very busy Boca Inlet. Even with a flag it wouldn't be a good idea to swim to it.

My buddy who got me into diving owns an aquaculture live rock business. Basically he drops mined limestone or man made rock from Fiji on his site and 6 months later it's ready for sale. The rock will quickly go through a few phases and before you know it it will be covered in urchins, crabs and all of the other critters in the sea. I like they are using limestone for the base to the reef because it won't be artificial for long. Limestone is after all old coral.

Ohhh a new spot to hit from the beach!

If it’s a regular swim out like pompano ledge I wouldn't mind diving it. Boats usually head straight out or south of that inlet mostly so might not get to much traffic. If I get a weekday off next week I’ll go check it out.

Any insight to exact location though? Looks like close to red reef park?

Last edited:
Found GPS coordinates.

GPS coordinates 26 20.537, -80 03.890 and 26 20.553, -80 03.888.

There are two reefs. They are about 1/3 of a mile out about the same distance as the Pompano drop off from shore which I’ve done a few times not much if any parking around there though.

How far off shore? Do you think dive boats will moor up on it or will this be too dangerous of an area to swim to it from the beach?

Ohhh a new spot to hit from the beach!

If it’s a regular swim out like pompano ledge I wouldn't mind diving it. Boats usually head straight out or south of that inlet mostly so might not get to much traffic. If I get a weekday off next week I’ll go check it out.

Any insight to exact location though? Looks like close to red reef park?

I wouldn't compare it at all to the Pompano Ledge and it's about 2 miles south of Red Reef. Closest Parking and Beach Access would be Palmetto Park road Pavillion. The reef is about 3/4 mile offshore. Any closer to the beach and the predators it would attract would be feeding on sea turtle hatchlings. About the boats, it's exactly the opposite. Boats approach the inlet from either the north or south along the beach to avoid the inlet chop, especially when the tide opposes the wind. And of course there are the wave runners tourists rent from the Boca Beach Club.

The reef new reef is located between the inlet and the Palmetto Park Road Pavillion.

did i miss it; but what's the name of the dive site going to be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom