Camera lost - CCV front yard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is a long shot, but stranger things have happened. If anyone happens to come across a Sony RX100 in a clear housing in the vicinity of Cocoview or Fantasy Island, would you please let me know?

I was coming up the cut at Cocoview, and apparently the lanyard on my wrist with the camera broke, as neither the camera nor lanyard where present when I surfaced. The last picture I took was just leaving the sand and just into the grass on the shallow side of the safety stop buoy.

The camera and housing are roughly neutral - I had some stainless fender washers screwed into the tripod socket. If those have worked free, it will be very positively buoyant. Talking to the DMs and other divers, the prevailing current would likely have pushed it toward the Fantasy Island beach, or possibly into the back channel behind Cocoview. The Cocoview office said they would call FI and ask them to watch for it.

I have the camera serial number to confirm ownership. Camera was lost on 18-July-2018.

I've been given several suggestions to better secure my next camera!

I'll be there Saturday, will be alert for the possibility of a rogue camera turning up. I occasionally venture some distance into the back channel, not the prettiest area but good muck diving especially at night. Also visit the DC-3 wreck at least every other day.

I know this is a long shot, but stranger things have happened. If anyone happens to come across a Sony RX100 in a clear housing in the vicinity of Cocoview or Fantasy Island, would you please let me know?

I was coming up the cut at Cocoview, and apparently the lanyard on my wrist with the camera broke, as neither the camera nor lanyard where present when I surfaced. The last picture I took was just leaving the sand and just into the grass on the shallow side of the safety stop buoy.

The camera and housing are roughly neutral - I had some stainless fender washers screwed into the tripod socket. If those have worked free, it will be very positively buoyant. Talking to the DMs and other divers, the prevailing current would likely have pushed it toward the Fantasy Island beach, or possibly into the back channel behind Cocoview. The Cocoview office said they would call FI and ask them to watch for it.

I have the camera serial number to confirm ownership. Camera was lost on 18-July-2018.

I've been given several suggestions to better secure my next camera!

The area you describe is seldom visited, which to me makes no sense as it's very cool. It would have to be buoyant as dropping it where you describe...if not, it would be wedged into a coral head wall that many divers dawdle over where you burn off the safety stop time. It would have been found if it were negative.

Assuming the fairly consistent ESE trade winds....

It had to have floated NW over that wall in a 12' bottom. Then into the Turtle Grass flats out to the front of (South) and then West of the Gazebo. It gets shallow there very quickly, mostly about 2' deep. Again, rarely does anyone go there, although it's pretty interesting.

That's a lot of area to search, even under and past the Bungalows.

If it's not to be found in that Turtle Grass or on Hawksbill Key? Hope it didn't get nudged back towards the only other place it could be...the mangroves to the NW of Hawksbill Key. this is the resting place after hard storms for the Channel Buoy Markers and even the Gazebo roof. It where stuff ends up.

Take out the kayaks and go for a poke.

Back
Top Bottom