Belated R.I.P. to Ray Manuel, Pensacola Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveMKentucky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
While on a dive trip this last weekend I found that Ray Manuel Jr. passed away in 2014. Ray was a very well known diver in Pensacola who was largely known by the company with his own name Ray Manuel Diving. He was a fixture in the Pensacola Diving community back when I was diving there back in the late 70's.

His obit: Raymond Earl Manuel, Jr. Obituary - Pensacola, FL

Attachments

• raymond-manuel-pensacola-fl-memories1.jpg
    raymond-manuel-pensacola-fl-memories1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 257
Ray was quite a character around Pensacola. He would fill my tanks back in 1967, we did not have any C-Cards. Ray's mother would fill tanks and work the shop on 9th ave when he was out of town. He was a crane operator and commercial diver still using a Mark V into the 70's. Ray was the one that talked me into going to commercial diving school in 1973. He had a Mako boat mounted bow aft on a long trailer that he would back down into the surf with his 4 x 4 truck, and launch right off the beach, back when they let you drive on the beaches. I knew he was not in good health, but I did not know he was gone.

Great to hear that someone else knew him.

Great tribute and I'm sorry I never got to meet him. Another Ray (Ray Jones), was also a well known character on the Pensacola dive scene. He passed away in 2005. The Florida panhandle is an amazing place to dive, so...a toast to both; the world seems a bit less interesting without them.

Sounds like Ray and I would have got along great back in 1967! Shame we never met. RIP Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom