Mistakes on first "real" dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Verses

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I took OW a couple years ago and did a lot of surface supplied air diving. Recently took a refresher as i was thinking about getting into scuba. The refresher went great, I executed all the skills easily and had great buoyancy control in the pool (surprise to me). Went on a 2 tank charter recently. The DM (ostensibly) briefly went over the dive plan, basically just what we were going to look at and that we would turn the dive at half tank. OK cool. Nobody did buddy checks, noboby mentioned safety stops. We all got in the water and descended. Visibility was OK (20 feet i think?), and water was cold at the bottom, like 41F. I lost my buyoncy at the bottom and kicked up some silt. Had a hard time maintaining trim (was too positive I think), got tangled in a line at the bottom. For some reason all of this freaked me out and I burned through my air like crazy (surfaced with 600 PSI after 20 minutes, started with 3000). On the way up, my "buddy" didn't safety stop and went straight to the surface so I followed, we were then scolded by the DM.

So that kind of sucked. I was hesitant to get back in for dive 2, but I swapped tanks and went for it. I think I knew what to expect this time so that dive went pretty smooth. No problems other than kicking up a little silt once. Went up with >1100 psi and 40 minutes ish bottom time (wasn't the lowest person this time!).

So, just wondering if you guys can offer input. It is normal for a charter to skip predive checks and not mention safety stops? We didn't have buddies, but went as a group (only 5 of us). DM was a bit of a dick and expected me to know everything (why didn't you put your gear together before we left the dock? IDK, because I've never been on a boat dive??).

Welcome to the real world!
Good for you for taking the time for a refresher. And you self-analysed well. That showed in your improved second dive.
But the take away lesson for me would be to trust no one. Divemasters can be great, and they can be mediocre.
When you have an instabuddy, make sure to agree on things ahead of time.
Have a thick skin. Most criticism from self-important staff is because they have their own insecurities, or have not much experience with the variety of divers out there. Just roll with it and do what you think is right. If you're not sure, get input. If you're still not sure, and things don't seem right, thumb the dive.

My first impression is that the operator is pretty slack in their practices. I hope you can find someone more conscientious your next time out. In the meantime, congratulations on active personal awareness and self-assessment.

So, just wondering if you guys can offer input. It is normal for a charter to skip predive checks and not mention safety stops? We didn't have buddies, but went as a group (only 5 of us). DM was a bit of a dick and expected me to know everything (why didn't you put your gear together before we left the dock? IDK, because I've never been on a boat dive??).

I’m assuming you were doing one of the charters out of Milwaukee? I’d like to know which one so I can avoid it! I’m in the Chicago area and haven’t hit any of the Milwaukee wrecks yet. Done plenty down here.

Which wrecks?

Did the DM expect everyone to follow him?

What do you refer to as “pre-dive checks?” Great Lakes boats are a different animal than those in tropical places. Great Lakes boats generally don’t babysit you. They give varying amounts of help depending on the charter op. They generally drop you on a wreck and then you’re on your own.

Divers on the Lakes generally know you need a safety stop, etc. They don’t expect to be led
about by the nose by a DM. Why wouldn’t you put your gear together before the boat left? Opportunity to do it before the boat starts rocking on the Lake!

I’m assuming you were doing one of the charters out of Milwaukee? I’d like to know which one so I can avoid it! I’m in the Chicago area and haven’t hit any of the Milwaukee wrecks yet. Done plenty down here.

Which wrecks?

Did the DM expect everyone to follow him?

What do you refer to as “pre-dive checks?” Great Lakes boats are a different animal than those in tropical places. Great Lakes boats generally don’t babysit you. They give varying amounts of help depending on the charter op. They generally drop you on a wreck and then you’re on your own.

Divers on the Lakes generally know you need a safety stop, etc. They don’t expect to be led
about by the nose by a DM. Why wouldn’t you put your gear together before the boat left? Opportunity to do it before the boat starts rocking on the Lake!

You can private message me if you want to know the wreck and charter.

Well, in OW you are taught to go over with your buddy your mask, BC, hoses and all that (begin with and review and friend). So I expected this, since I haven't done anything else besides my OW. I don't know what boats are like in tropical places, I haven't been there and don't plan on it.

Why wouldn't I put all my gear together? Like I said this is my FIRST dive outside of OW checkouts which were off the shore into a quarry. Whats common sense to you isn't for somebody with no experience.

If great lakes dives are lax on these things and thats typical-that's fine. Now I know what to expect.

@Verses - you said "for some reason this freaked me out" - of course it did! Good job keeping it together and making it back to the boat! I only dive tropical water so I can't speak to the type of DM's you may encounter on those cold water wreck dives. Typically someone on the boat does a decent briefing - telling you about emergency procedures, what the underwater topography might include, reminder to do a safety stop and what PSI/time they want you back on the boat. Even if they skip all that, I would always assume no less than 500PSI and that I will do my own safety stop regardless of what anyone else does. But you're getting back into the water after a hiatus. If I were you I'd be disappointed in the dive op. But now you know what to expect of yourself and your dive buddy.

Great Lakes boats do not hold your hand. If you were expecting the charter op to remind you to do a buddy check, your expectations were unrealistic. Calling a charter op “lax” because they don’t remind you to do a buddy check makes me scratch my head.

You’re expected to have your stuff together up here on the Lakes. If you need/expect to be reminded of basic stuff, then diving up here probably isn’t going to be a good fit for you. Somewhere warm may be more your speed. You seem surprised by the 41F bottom temp.

It’s just common sense that putting your gear together before the boat leaves is going to be a heck of a lot easier than trying to do it when the boat is moving and likely bouncing around on the Lake. Has nothing to do with experience or not. Just common sense.

Great Lakes boats do not hold your hand. If you were expecting the charter op to remind you to do a buddy check, your expectations were unrealistic. Calling a charter op “lax” because they don’t remind you to do a buddy check makes me scratch my head.

You’re expected to have your stuff together up here on the Lakes. If you need/expect to be reminded of basic stuff, then diving up here probably isn’t going to be a good fit for you. Somewhere warm may be more your speed. You seem surprised by the 41F bottom temp.

Not sure what your problem is? I am asking if what I experienced it typical, I got an answer. Perhaps you should reread my post, you seem to have missed a lot. I don't need to be reminded of basic stuff, I am just unfamiliar with how everything works as a NEW diver. Me saying that diving here is "lax" compared to my understanding of a lot diving ops in the world insult and you needn't take it as one. If thats how it works, thats cool. Now I know. End of story.

Verses I commend you on your attitude and willingness to do the second dive after the first dive did not go so well.
Doing a refresher course was a good idea .
I can see your frustrations with not being alerted to the boat practices etc. and this being your first boat dive with this dive op you seemed to handle it well the one thing you should always do is talk with your buddy and discuss the dive plan even briefly and familiarize each other with your gear this is something you should do every dive with a regular buddy or an "instant buddy" .
Here in the Northeast the dive briefings are basically …"this is ______ Wreck at ___ depth pool is open"....that's about all ….no Divemasters or guides everyone is responsible for themselves the only thing the crew does is tie the anchor in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom