Clive Cussler ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi:
I've been reading Clive Cussler's The Mediterranean Caper. Is this typical of the novels? So far (I'm in Chpt 10) and there is no diving action. I know this was an early work by Mr. Cussler.

Cussler can be really good (Thief) or he can be really really bad (Pirate.) He does not write his own books anymore but sells him name to authors who cant sell on their own name (Co-writing). Yes there can be diving but this is diving for non-divers so do not expect to be taken into diving aspect itself.

The world is in need of a real diving author who will introduce diving specially technical diving and its challenges to the world but Cussler is not him.

Always antique cars, boats and planes. Never real diving. He has a car museum here in Arvada Colorado. great place.

I've been reading Clive Cussler's The Mediterranean Caper.

You've started with the newest (24th) book in the series with Dirk Pitt as the main character. Cussler has 4 other series of books with different lead characters also. He is the author or co-author of his books. The Pitt series and Kurt Austin series are the ones likely to deal with some underwater activity, but not necessarily scuba diving action. I've read over 40 of the 70+ books. His non-fiction books, the Sea Hunter and Sea Hunter II, may have something more in the line of diving action, but I can't really say since I haven't read those.

You've started with the newest (24th) book in the series with Dirk Pitt as the main character. Cussler has 4 other series of books with different lead characters also. He is the author or co-author of his books. The Pitt series and Kurt Austin series are the ones likely to deal with some underwater activity, but not necessarily scuba diving action. I've read over 40 of the 70+ books. His non-fiction books, the Sea Hunter and Sea Hunter II, may have something more in the line of diving action, but I can't really say since I haven't read those.

Thank you. I like the book so far but was expecting nonstop scuba action.

Actually, The Mediterranean Caper was Pitt's first published appearance in 1973. Chronologically speaking Pacific Vortex! came first in the series and was written first, but it wasn't published until 1983.

I used to be a big fan of Cussler's novels, but after a while the series jumped the shark with me. One of the big problems I had was that he would introduce major plot developments (the Titanic being raised, the U.S. and Canada merging into one country, etc.) and then drop them in later books because they diverged so far from real-world events. I still have his two Sea Hunters books and Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt Revealed!; the former is a collection of shipwreck-hunting accounts (Cussler uses his book royalties to look for historic wrecks, which is extremely commendable) and the latter is a compendium that includes a short autobiography and a rather hilarious short story where Cussler crashes a party at Pitt's hangar (which includes the deceased villains of the series in one corner competing to see who got the worst death).

Last edited:
Actually, The Mediterranean Caper was Pitt's first published appearance in 1973.

Yes. Thanks for the correction. I have lists of books by the authors I read to check off titles after I read them (old age!) At one time I had the newer books at the top of the lists and forgot that I recently inverted them.

I've enjoyed many of Cussler's books over the years but rarely for the diving in them. They are easy reads although often as bit too formulaic. Even when diving becomes part of the story, I think there are errors (due to his "co-writers?").

Sam Miller did inform me that Cussler worked in the Newport Beach Aquatic Center a year before I finally got certified there in the late 1960s.

I read almost all books written by C. Cussler (except for books for children). I read then in chronological order. I also suggest you doing the same. C.Cussler is one of my greatest authors whom i really admire. I do not care that currently he issues books with co-authors. I am just reading every book with pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom