Disturbing trend: glorifying horrible dives on social media.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, I’m not sure you can fix a bad mindset.

There is an age old quote that I heard whilst working in the North but I am sure it is common in most other parts of the country ...

"You can't fix stupid"

Meaning you either have common sense or you do not. I can't be taught.

There is an age old quote that I heard whilst working in the North but I am sure it is common in most other parts of the country ...

"You can't fix stupid"
I think you can outgrow it, if you live long enough. Eventually, for some people, wisdom and common sense that comes with age can overcome stupidity. At least I think so. I could be completely wrong.

I think these issues are nothing new. They have been occurring for quite a while. It's just that now
Most people are on some form of social media, underwater cameras are inexpensive, readily available to most, small, easy operate and carry, and make simple to make good looking video. Of course were seeing more.

Or is this just the forward progession of our new online social media world where everybody puts their entire life on display for everyone to see, good and bad?

Welcome to the new Mellenimum. The change from being proud of accomplishments has changed to pride in anything one does, and the more noticeable one is on social media the more important you are. Anything to stretch 15 minutes of fame into more fame and possibly fortune, regardless of the reason.

When I was a kid I wondered why my grandfather looked at current events and shook his head, now I know. Just as I think people couldn't be more stupid, I am educated.

Bob

Allow Darwin to add the necessary chlorine to the gene pool...

Not like staged reality shows aren't a reflection of real life.The idea that someone "happened " to be handy with a gopro or in some cases advanced video gear to chronicle many of the stupid human tricks we see on the internet seems less likely than that they were stunts. Not that there aren't a lot of stupid humans.

Recklessness, danger and excitement gets internet views. Ppl have died scaling cranes, high rises, bridges to get a selfie. It’s an unfortunate trend with millennials (and maybe other generations too). It’s just drifting over to diving.
Millennial - noun; someone younger than you that you don’t like, typically used by baby boomers.

Saw this topic come up at least once before, in John Bantin's (@John Bantin ) Undercurrent Blog article, The Dangers of Social Media. From that article, he noted:

"We are daily regaled with video clips of people bravely doing hazardous things on social media. At the same time we see for example, car ads and motoring programs on television shows where cars are being driven very much unlike the way my mother-in-law drives. Despite mandatory warnings about doing the same however, they might persuade young drivers to try to emulate them.

Like driving, scuba diving is not seen as a spectator sport. Divers actively participate. This can lead some people to think they can do the same as the divers they admire, which often is not realistic."

Publishing foolishly risky diving runs the risk of facilitating the 'normalization of deviance' discussed in other threads on the forum.

One problem in scuba is there's sometimes not much gray area between 'okay' and 'oh, crap.' It's not like standing too close to a bonfire, or spending too much time in the sun and getting sunburned, where you eventually feel some pain, or at least aren't apt to get hurt too badly the first time. In scuba, we often expect people not to learn the limits experientially, but rather based on the conventional wisdom of others and industry standards.

But some people tend to rely on experiential learning. Give'em a limit, they'll push it, see what happens, press forward a bit if they get away with it...

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom