BOV with MAV and/or ADV - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to hear! Another good reason to do a proper stereo check!

I love how easy the Shrimp makes this check. And if something sounds weird you can look right at the valves to see if something is flipped or strange.

depends on chin rests or not. I've heard from most of them that the bov's with the chin rests are more comfortable. I know I had some wicked jaw fatigue after scootering this weekend with my DSV. I have TMJ so I'm prone to it anyway, but I had my left hand supporting the DSV when I was on speed 2/3 on my UV26 or Viper. Top speed on a Magnus or equivalent would have been very painful

Chinrests are for real. So are decent mouthpieces; I personally find the scubapro ones with the long bite tabs are ideal.

For those who want a loop hanger - I'm in the process of refining the 3D print file with the person who does CAD for me to make it cheaper to print. I should be done soon and I will upload it to printathing.com and post the link here so that anyone who wants can order one.

The idea is that this lets the loop hang straight vertical so that moisture drips out by gravity through the exhale flange and the mouthpiece. The thing that you might not see from the image I uploaded is that the small hole at the bottom is for a line loop that supports the DSV a bit, so that the full weight of the hoses aren't stretching it out so much. The original design had a long plastic hook for that, but that made the printing much more expensive, and a bit of cave line works just as well.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

loop_hanger.jpg

@doctormike will you let us buy the files if we have our own printer?

You can have the files if you like... always happy to share! I was just doing a revision so that it would be less expensive to print, but I'm happy to send you the last two version as .stl files to play with. Just PM me your email address.

@doctormike will you let us buy the files if we have our own printer?
Can those of us without a printer mooch off all the fancy pants divers here? :D

Can those of us without a printer mooch off all the fancy pants divers here? :D

Sure! Will upload to printathing.com. These services are great for rebreather parts, because they are unique items that have a very small market. Easy to modify the files for different units, etc...

I have a nice piece that someone uploaded for drying the JJ head while protecting the cells. Probably not worth it for JJ to bring to market, although they have their own version which is slightly different).

Sure! Will upload to printathing.com. These services are great for rebreather parts, because they are unique items that have a very small market. Easy to modify the files for different units, etc...

I have a nice piece that someone uploaded for drying the JJ head while protecting the cells. Probably not worth it for JJ to bring to market, although they have their own version which is slightly different).

do you have an account on thingiverse that you can upload all the stl's?

do you have an account on thingiverse that you can upload all the stl's?

Yup. Just doing some edits to the current version to make it cheaper to print. Should be done soon...

I certainly understand all the posts that have detailed how quickly one would run out of gas by using onboard dil for BO.

I was discussing it with my buddy that dives this way and he said:

"you should be able to deploy your deep OC reg in seconds..........that is what having the BOV on your dil is allowing you to do. There are lots of divers comfortable with diving without a BOV of course, who are bailing straight to OC"

One part of the appeal, to me, is that plumbing to onboard dil means one less thing you have to do during the final pre-splash gear-up. Which I take as an improvement in safety.

Based on the number of times I have splashed with my drysuit inflator not connected to my suit, I could easily imagine myself forgetting to connect offboard gas to my BOV. Having it plumbed to onboard means I can check it earlier in the process and, if I forgot to check it, well, it stays hooked up normally, so I will most likely be okay.

Now, before I get blasted with posts telling me that if I don't meticulously perform every pre-dive check, I should wise up and not dive a CCR at all, let me be clear, I understand that. I am generally quite detail-oriented. I think I will be able to dive a CCR safely after I finish my training. My point is simply recognizing that even the best people occasionally forget something important. So, to ME, the safest approach to configuring gear is to use a configuration that minimizes your opportunities to forget something important (or minimizes the damage done when you do forget).

From that perspective, having offboard BO that is always configured with a hose on the 1st stage that can be plugged into the loop somewhere seems like a good idea. I believe you'd have that whether you have a BOV or a DSV. Regardless, having a big offboard BO bottle with an OC reg on it, you would never NEED to use a BOV at all, even if you have one. Unless you find out that you're a person that has real trouble taking the DSV out of your mouth during a CO2 hit....

If you believe that a BOV is unnecessary and that you will always be able to switch to OC when needed (whether that's because you will always detect the issue before it becomes too big of a problem, or otherwise), then what does it really matter what your BOV is plugged into?

If you believe that a BOV is a good idea, well, in that case, I can definitely see your arguments in favor of just having it plugged directly into your big BO cylinder. In which case, what do you think about the possibility that you might splash and forget to plug your BO into your BOV?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom