Keeping Your Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have anything to offer other that what has already been said. But I will share a story. While doing my AOW and drysuit certifications, one of our dives was a night dive. We were at a quarry for the weekend, and the weather was unseasonably hot and also intermittently stormy, and perhaps as a result there didn't seem to be that many people at the quarry that day. We got geared up and splashed, each of us with marker lights on our tanks, dive lights in hand, backup lights, etc. There were six of us with an instructor, a DM, and another instructor who decided to join as as a second DM.

The dive went great. Until the very end. As we circled back around to the underwater platform, we noticed that suddenly there were tons of other divers in the water. Just about everyone had on similar looking drysuits, everyone had lights that they were shining in everyone else's eyes, everyone had marker lights on their tanks (but they were all the same colors: red, green, or blue), everyone had black hoods on, and the majority of people had dark colored fins.

I was right next to my buddy as we made our way through the scrum. I was trying to keep an eye on him while also keeping an eye on the instructor and the DMs. We all did our safety stop and then they signaled to ascend. I turned my gaze away from my buddy for a split second and suddenly he had multiplied. I signaled to ascend and up we went.

We got to the surface and removed our masks and I was like "Who the heck are you?" He said the same to me! It was some random other guy. So one of the DMs said he would go back down to get my buddy, who I could see below us. The DM descended and grabbed my buddy and signaled to ascend. My buddy didn't seem to want to. So the DM signaled more vigorously to ascend, and up they went. At the surface, we realized that it wasn't my buddy! We asked the other guy why did he ascend with some stranger and he said "Well, he seemed pretty adamant that I ascend, so I did!" Meanwhile, my buddy had been witnessing this whole thing and finally decided to come up on his own. Why he waited so long, who knows.

Given the depth, how much air everyone still had left, and the fact that there were so many divers around it wasn't really a serious situation. But it highlighted to me how quickly things can get messy during a night dive, especially one where visibility isn't that great to begin with.

See,
If that had been me...
SWMBO would have been livid...i never would hear the end of it.

And I want to avoid that sort of thing.

I wear a colorful beanie, easier to see.
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 4.00.54 PM.png

That beanie and your completely featureless face should make you pretty easy to pick out. :)

WitPro Regulations...shhh.

I have a bright green bag tag, with my name on it. The bag tag is wrapped around my BC front strap/inflator hose. But my son just says he looks for my bald head.

Had a situation come up diving the Benwood in the Keys. The youngest and I were swimming the starboard side towards the bow. We hit the bow about the time a dozen or so swimmers were coming the other way. Momentum had the other stream of “salmon” cutting between us. Because we had been diving together all week and were very comfortable with each other, we both gave each other the ok? question and response and carried on. We were a dozen or so feet from each other for 45-60 seconds. Glanced at each other a couple of times. We rejoined closer quarters after the crowd passed. Had one of us needed the other we would have powered through to our buddy. As others have said, comfort and sight recognition comes with time/familiarity.

Here in Asia, it seems people are pretty fond of fancy hoods (Hello Kitty, minions, panda, all types of fishes and sharks, aliens, et), as well as floaty toys attached to one's regs first stage (I hate those. I've already had to help a few time divers who got their hoses all entangled in their toys' line. It seems more dangerous than useful to me). Those all make it easy to distinguish one diver from the other.

Colored bandanas work well, whether on head or just tied around ankles/upper arms. Some colorful marking on your tanks(something removable when renting).

I wear a Harley beanie and white fins. I also have my name and a smiley face on both fins. I've marked some of my stuff with neon puffy paint (it works well on neoprene - just smush it in so it's not just on the surface and peels off). You can use it to make designs or print your name or "follow me" or whatever fun thing you choose - maybe "shark bait"?! :giggle: My husband usually wears Force Fins and they're easily identifiable ... but he just switched fins so I might have to tag some of his stuff with puffy paint ... I'm thinking hot pink!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom