Found a great article with Marineland history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
a=is&oid=PVPN19660717.2.2&type=blockimage&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1&area=2&width=626.jpg

a=is&oid=PVPN19660717.2.2&type=blockimage&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1&area=1&width=603.jpg

a=is&oid=PVPN19660717.2.3&type=blockimage&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1&area=1&width=700.jpg

a=is&oid=PVPN19660717.2.3&type=blockimage&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1&area=2&width=454.jpg

a=is&oid=PVPN19660717.2.3&type=blockimage&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1&area=3&width=458.jpg

Never dove Marineland, but we occasionally did some collecting for them in the early 1970s

At this time the greater LA area was the geographical center of all diving the US and probably the world.- confined to a small area was the major diving manufacturing, the most dive shops the most clubs, the most active organized divers and the majority of divers in the US and the world.

Content deleted - no interest

Thanks for unearthing the article and exciting my neuro synapses of events and friends of the very distant past

Sam Miller, 111
LA Co UW instructor 11 UICC
NAUI #A27
PADI ete etc

Last edited:
"We're expecting about 500 divers in all" - wow! I can't imagine that kind of diver turnout for anything in So Cal these days. For most beach dives, it's relatively unusual to see more than another two or three divers, and most of the time we have the water all to ourselves

@geoff w
"We're expecting about 500 divers in all" - wow! I can't imagine that kind of diver turnout for anything in So Cal these days. For most beach dives, it's relatively unusual to see more than another two or three divers, and most of the time we have the water all to out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attend the SCUBA Show...10,000 plus attend

Recall
At this time the greater LA area was the geographical center of all diving the US and probably the world.- confined to a small area was the major diving manufacturing, the most dive shops the most clubs, the most active organized divers and the majority of divers in the US and the world.

see PM

SDM

The Chocolate Lobster dive at Cabrillo Beach used to draw more than a hundred divers. Other than that the largest crowd of divers I can remember at a beach were the Scubaboard meetups and SOCDC dives, or any summer weekend at La Jolla Shores.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom