Cutting tool: Best value for money ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The choice of cutting tool depends on what you want from your cutting tool. I carry three cutting tools: A 15cm/6" BFK on my calf, a 5cm/2" knife on my waistband and a ceramic trilobite on my shoulder strap. The only cutting tool I haven't used so far is the trilobite, and the one I've used the most is the BFK. So if I were to carry just one cutting tool, it'd be the BFK which really isn't a knife, but a multi-tool. That's given my type of diving, but not necessarily your type of diving.

Do a requirement analysis, then choose the appropriate tool.

BFK ?

I carry a 2" serrated knife on bpw waist belt DIR style in front with titanium shears on right side that doubles as a long hose holder for long-hose loop. Eezycut w/ ceramic blades on right wrist computer bungee. 2 weeks ago, I was drift diving the Princess Ann off W. Palm in 2 knots of current and got fishing line tangled up around my first stage. 1 swipe with the eezycut and I was free and clear. Money well spent!

- little stuff: Ceramic Sea Sword Sharp Cut, DGX $18, as steel trilobite versions rusted and I had not explored adding grease.
- big stuff: EMT shears, DGX $8, still look fine after a few years of salt water, but no significant use.

One of each for when I drop the first, on little stuff... I just have not branched out into exploring the multitool ish heavier cutters.

They are cheap enough, I would not count value too finely.

Some cutting tools have multiple functions. My Big Functional Knife (see what I did there?) got used most often as an anchor in sand in areas with high current. Jam it into the sand and hang on.

Other tools that cut also have multiple uses, if not this particular advantage.

I carry a knife, a line cutter, and a pair of trauma shears (usually grabbed out of my scrubs because I forgot to buy any for the dive trip...)
The one I use most often is the shears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom