Course starts tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My sidemount course starts tomorrow in the gulf of Aqaba. I’m super excited!
I met my instructor today and he only dives SM. I’ll keep you all posted!

Any tips?

Do you have your own gear or are you renting? I recently did my SM course. It will go much smoother if you have all your own gear and are diving the same sort of tanks and exposure protection you will use on a regular basis.

I did mine in a 3mm rather than heavier wetsuit as the quarry water is very warm (70s F) I would have roasted otherwise. But I was really overweighted and had buoyancy challenges as a result.

Yes own the gear and indice multiple exposure suit.
Tanks are the same

Since it appears your course isn’t at home, make extensive notes and take a lot of photos of how and where rigging is on your tanks, so you can easily replicate it at home. Take measurements, and so on.

When you get home, take a permanent marker and mark where cam bands go and so on, once you’ve got your trim sorted.

Any advise on handling stages and deco bottles?

I’m sure someone else will. My tech SM class will probably be next year.

i am curios what the reason is to go all that way ? or was it just part of a vacation you had planned to that area

Following!

Major’s log, day 1

Today marked the first in what has now officially became my new love affair.
Miss Sidemount is easy to get along with and oh so generous!

My instructor, Paul from the UK is a tech trimix instructor and a cave diver. He basically does all of his dives in SM.

We spent a considerable amount of time in the morning (read all of it) to fix my gear properly and to adjust things. We spent 3 pool dives (totalling 80 minutes) so that it felt and look right.
After multiple video reviews (he was filming me) we finally were ready for big blue.

We arrived at a superb coral and after having to log all 4 of my AL 80 I was ready for a splash.
We started the next dive with 2 back gas and 1 simulated deco tank. I was quite happy to stage it right away at 10’ After completing multiple drills at about 75’ we assented and picked up that staged deco bottle. We than went back down and completed more drills with the deco tank. Once I was comfortable with 3 tanks, naturally it was time to go back up and get tank #4.

I quickly realized that this must have been punishment for something. Alas we continued to explore big blue. Once we hit our turn pressure, we made our return and Paul made me do 2 simulated deco stop, which included reg changes. Clearly I once again did something wrong as I was told to launch a DSMB. While I was managing the DSMB I was I strictes to stow all 3 hoses and to keep my necklace one only. This was a lot of “fun”.

In the end it turned out I was not bad, he just wanted to test me lol.

Great day today, can or can’t? Wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Stay tune!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom