Ear problems won’t stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people are super sensitive to water in their ears...my wife uses the Doc's Pro Plugs and loves them...also, we start equalizing long before we get in the water...at breakfast, on the boat... it makes it much easier during the dive...hope some of the advice given helps ya!

Some people are super sensitive to water in their ears...my wife uses the Doc's Pro Plugs and loves them...also, we start equalizing long before we get in the water...at breakfast, on the boat... it makes it much easier during the dive...hope some of the advice given helps ya!
I get swimmer's ear quite easily. It is very difficult for me to get the water out of my ears and I end up with ear infections. I've been using Doc's Pro Plugs for 3 years now and haven't had an ear infection since. You still have to equalize, but I won't dive without the ear plugs.

I tried pro plugs, kept losing, didn’t like. What works for me is Ear Beer:
In a plastic bottle with a flip top and a small hole, or a hairdressers bottle, or an old overpriced “swimmers ear” bottle.
1/2 70% isopropyl alcohol
1/2 white vinegar
A few drops in, dump out. Every time ears get wet. Every. Time.
In the pool bag, in the dive bag, in the bathroom ;-)

[QUOTE="DangerousDan64, post: 8367948, member: 482337"

As far as decongestants go, the US Navy did a study where they compared divers using pseudoephedrine against divers who used a buffered saline flush- the saline flush was more effective and has been my go to if diving with any congestion for the past 12 years.[/QUOTE]

Is the saline flush going in your nose like a neti pot, or into you ears?

I've been using Doc's Pro Plugs for 3 years now and haven't had an ear infection since. You still have to equalize, but I won't dive without the ear plugs.

Me too. I didn't get swimmers ear, I'd just get wet ears which were annoying especially when you're trying to enjoy a weeklong dive vacation. With proplugs my ears stay bone dry, or maybe a trickle of water gets through over the course of multiple dives but not enough to matter. I carry a spare set just in case.

I tried pro plugs, kept losing, didn’t like

If you kept losing them you either didn't size them correctly. Did you use the sizing kit? It's under $10 and has all the sizes so you can get the exact one you need.

Or you weren't inserting them properly. Even now, after using them for 2 seasons I occasionally insert them in the wrong ears but I can tell by how they feel that they aren't inserted correctly. Once you've got them in properly they aren't going anywhere. To be extra careful, use the ones with the leash and run it through your mask strap, that way if it does come out of your ear it's not gone.

My ears hurt at the bottom of my 5 ft deep pool. They have never hurt while diving even to 60ft. It’s different when you go slow and equalize vs just diving down.

I had similar and went to the doc. He cleaned out 30 years of ear wax / other - problem no more.
As I have grown older,I find the ear wax build-up a recurring problem. I have learned that a simple 5 minute procedure at your local ENT doctors office is good pre-dive trip insurance.

I’m one of the people that can’t even wait 5 feet to do it. I start feeling the pressure at even 1 ft. I basically equalize on every exhale on descent. I have sensitive ears and like to stay ahead of it. Maybe that’s something you can try.

While pinching the nostrils, blow gently to create a small amount of pressure and while doing this, swallow- POP- instantly cleared. Can’t wait to try this on my next descent.

I just tried this on land and WOW it was super effective, even for my hard to clear ear! Learned something great today! Hope it’s just as effective in water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom