Buying first computer Suunto Zoop, Cressi Giotto, or Oceanic Geo 2.0 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Extremely conservative compared to most other dive computers.
I also used to think Suunto computers were among the most conservative. Take a close look at the 2016 (last year a Suunto was tested) and the 2017 ScubaLab repetitive dive testing (found under Scuba Diving Magazine equipment tests). Suunto actually comes in middle of the road rather than very conservative. Mares, Cressi and Scubapro Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB are all more conservative. One caveat is that the 4 dive hyperbaric unit testing strictly follows normal rec dives with regard to profiles, ascents, and SIs. The RGBM based computers tend to penalize when any of these parameters is breached. There is very little published controlled data for repetitive dives.

I also used to think Suunto computers were among the most conservative. Take a close look at the 2016.

Think I saw that study, or a similar one. If I recall Oceanic still came out way ahead on the side of generous algorithms.

Zoop computers are very conservative. Quite often on a dive boat where there's a bunch of divers doing wrecks, the divers with Zoops are first back on the boat by at least 10 minutes, with plenty of gas remaining in their tanks. And it's not like all those other divers with the more generous computer algorithms are getting bent.
My wife and I both dive Suunto computers. I have never had to get back on the boat before running low on air due to deco obligations. I have dived with people running all sorts of dive computers and still can stay down just as long as they can. If anything, we come up due to them being low on air before I am. I am rarely the first one back on the boat.

Now my wife uses about half the air I do so she would probably have plenty of air left at the end of the dive, even if I were using a 100HP and she was using just an AL80.

While I can say that the Suuntos are a tad bit more conservative than others, I've not found that they are wildly more conservative as some people make them out to be. And quite honestly, at my age, I'd rather dive a DC that was a little more conservative instead of pushing the limits with a more liberal algorithm.

In reply to Caruso...

So, like lots of people on SB, and probably like those people on that boat you have HEARD that they are excessively conservative.

In the absence of some gold standard for how long an NDL should be or what deco profile should be used it is hard to call any computer excessive, especially when some of those using them still get bent.

To the OP: I'm very happy with my Zoop. All the stories of 1st guy back on the boat because he had a zoop.... I haven't been that guy. My SAC is better than average, but not super duper.

To some of you others: You can tell me how wrong I am now. I will still like my Zoop.

We ended up getting Suunto D4i one with and one without transmittor
looking for a transmitter now
Thanks

So, like lots of people on SB, and probably like those people on that boat you have HEARD that they are excessively conservative.

We had this joke when I was a kid:
- Those Stranglers are such crap!
- Have you been to the show?
- No, Joe sang me their stuff on the phone.

Think I saw that study, or a similar one. If I recall Oceanic still came out way ahead on the side of generous algorithms.
DSAT and Buhlman ZH-L16C 45/95 were the most liberal. Buhlmann tended to be the most liberal on repetitive dives

Back
Top Bottom