Bought an air compressor...21% fills for now...concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops, yes, I did conversions wrong way around. Late night after a few beers!!!

Fill cost is US$1.22.

I don't think so!

And, you are right. There are many kinds of filters and some do not contain monoxycon/hopcalite. However, a well-designed single filter, or a filtration system, absolutely should contain it, and IMNSHO, nobody should operate a breathing air compressor of any kind without it being included. However, that's only the beginning, and this article from Ted Green should be required reading for anyone who owns a compressor:http://scuba.club.anu.edu.au/gear/compressor/Understanding_Compressors_Article.pdf

Ok, who do you trust to be in charge of your life. A minimum wager earner or yourself?

TL/DR: Stop judging people based on your perception of skill sets. It is ignorant...

This is the second time that alluded to the fact that a minimum wage earner is somehow incapable of doing a high skill task. Perhaps said person loves to work at a LDS regardless of pay. Here is another thing to consider: that person does not get to pick their wages, the LDS does. Hmm maybe said ignorant tank filler is working that job to pay their way through college?

Hopcalite will convert CO to CO2 and should be included in the filter system.

Wow, I didn't know that. I have been misled.

I don't think so!
Anybody that is running a compressor without a filter that converts CO to CO2 is not running a scuba compressor. Paintball, PCP air rifle yes, but not scuba. Some may say the exception would be an oilless compressor but even then if you get CO from another source you want to remove it.

Obviously it happens, and a stressed dive shop employee does not care as much about my air fills as I do. If we get fills from dive shops we need to check O2 levels AND CO levels. Just because we are paying for 21% does not mean someone has not filled with 36%. I have not yet taken to carrying a CO tester as Dandy Don preaches but I do run one on my own compressor.

My compressor is in my auto shop. We sometimes get CO from engines running inside or close to the shop. Awhile ago I got CO readings out of my compressor that were not zero, 1-2 PPM. My filter was new and I couldn't figure out how it was getting through. When I changed my filter I found I had lost the O-ring at the bottom that separates air in from air out.

Did you ever hear of anybody who got a bad fill from a dive shop? How do you mitigate that?
Yes. They should have their last analysis report available for customers. Ask for it if it isn't posted. Do they use inline CO detectors? Do you test your tanks for CO and oxygen content?

The other way is lawyers. I know someone who get poisoned on a dive. The tank analysis showed all sorts of nasty volatile organics and it turned out to be because the dive shop was repainting their tanks near the air intake, and apparently those kind of volatile organics passed through whatever filters they were using. "They aren't in business anymore" was said with evident satisfaction.

DAN will send you a free sampling kit if you think you got a bad fill. In most cases of scuba accidents it's on the list of things they check.

Back
Top Bottom