Most incorrectly spelled SCUBA brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks isn't even a real dictionary defined word, peeps. It is a "made up" brand/trade name of a word, similar to Cintas, or some of those damn pharmaceutical made up brand names, like Lipitor or Xanax. There is no correct spelling of non-words. At least nothing that I would care to defend.

Phonetically spelled I'd say it should really be spelled 'Apecks'.

Why can’t people spell Apeks correctly? It is spelled more often incorrectly (Apex) than it is spelled correctly. Rant done.

...will Canada somehow blame that on Trump ?:)

Somehow it seems a lot worse when the misspelling is found in a book published decades ago, when we assume professional proofreading standards were much higher. Take a look at the caption to the photograph below from page 9 of Owen Lee's The Complete Illustrated Guide to Snorkel and Deep Diving, which was published by Doubleday & Company Inc, Garden City, New York in 1963 and which came with a foreword by Jacques-Yves Cousteau himself.
Owen_Lee_1963.jpg

An identical misspelling appears on page 24 of the same volume:
Owen_Lee_1963b.jpg

The Italian rubber company's name should be spelled PIRELLI, not PARELLI:
2000px-Logo_Pirelli.svg.png

SKOOBA-"totes" is another mid-twentieth-century drysuit brand commonly misspelled during its lifetime. Official company ad below with the correct spelling:
12.jpg

In the January 1959 issue of The Water Skier, the brand name is misspelled Scooba "Totes":
TheWaterskierjan1959.jpg

On page 65 of John E. Cayford's 1964 Fawcett book The How-To Book of Skin and Scuba Diving, the brand name is misspelled Skuba-Totes:
Cayford_1964.jpg

In the same paragraph above, the suit manufacturer's name So-Lo Marx is misspelled So-Lo Marks.

Not to much a spelling, but I hear so many people pronounce 'Perdix' and 'Perdex'. Niggles me

Is it
Nitrox
NitrOx
nitrox
Oh, never mind, PATTY saved the electrons with
EAN

How does one pronounce:

Mares eat oats
And does eat oats
And little sharksy divey

And now, for something completely different....

Dived, dove, doved

image.jpeg

Well, that's settled.

Dived, dove, doved

Megan doved. Lehaim!

Back
Top Bottom