Should have slept in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be in this area in late December. It's nice to know that there is some interesting stuff to see and photograph. When you say it is too warm at 67F, are you referring to the lobsters molting/mating, or is that a complaint about in water comfort for you? What are the conditions usually like around Christmas-New Year's?

Also, beautiful pictures.

The water around the south bay is typically in the 50s to low 60s. By Christmas it should be back to normal around 51-55. We had 75 at the surface last week. It is killing the kelp and the reefs.

View attachment 475556 The one mile pipe is not in use. It is a backup for the five mile pipe. A few years ago they performed maintenance on the five mile pipe and had to use the one mile pipe temporarily. The flow is twice treated but I still wouldn't want to be near the opening while it was being used. It would be almost as bad as swimming in a public pool. :)

Many decades ago there was a "one mile pipe" somewhere in Palos Verdes that, as all the divers knew, was really only about 1/4 mile offshore. Would that be the same pipe?

The water around the south bay is typically in the 50s to low 60s. By Christmas it should be back to normal around 51-55. We had 75 at the surface last week. It is killing the kelp and the reefs.

My girlfriend read a report that said the surface was 81 F somewhere in SoCal. I think around 73 F was about the highest I'd heard in the distant past.

The air temperatures were 108 and up (up to 122) here in the lovely Inland Empire from the first day of summer up until just a few days ago. Now it's only about 102. This ain't normal! But wait, they are saying it might be the "new" normal. It would be devastating to lose the kelp. We have lost nearly every avocado tree in the neighborhood, and the few that survived are not looking very good. Many of these trees are decades old. Do you think the nudis will move to a cooler climate?

Many decades ago there was a "one mile pipe" somewhere in Palos Verdes that, as all the divers knew, was really only about 1/4 mile offshore. Would that be the same pipe?
There are the intake pipes at the north end of the Redondo breakwall, drain pipes at Cloydon Road and Calle Entradero in P.V., Portuguese landslide in RPV and White Point and Pt. Fermin in San Pedro. There are also the White Point outfall pipes which do extend a mile and a half.
WPoutfall_zps3f06b464.jpg

My girlfriend read a report that said the surface was 81 F somewhere in SoCal. I think around 73 F was about the highest I'd heard in the distant past.

76 on the surface about a mile and a half off PV yesterday morning, colder at 100 ft. I heard surface water temperature in San Diego was 81. The water will continue to warm up for the next two months or so, as water warming lags air temperature changes. Time to track down hurricane shutters and have them ready! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_hurricanes

76 on the surface about a mile and a half off PV yesterday morning, colder at 100 ft. I heard surface water temperature in San Diego was 81. The water will continue to warm up for the next two months or so, as water warming lags air temperature changes. Time to track down hurricane shutters and have them ready! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_hurricanes

I'm somewhat surprised we haven't been having hurricanes with those warm ocean temps. I don't think you are kidding about them actually making it to California.

Back
Top Bottom