False Sense of Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@doctormike ... Mike, did I hear that you guys may have encountered one? One being a great white.

I feel safer when diving in a large group because I know that if a shark comes after us the odds are rather high that I will not be the slowest one in the group but that might be a false sense of security because the shark might actually go after a diver in better shape thinking I will taste better for some reason.

"You don't have to be faster than the bear; only faster than the slowest person running from it."

:cheers:

I think the "number of dives" can give a person a false sense of security.

Typically the more dives you have done the more experienced you are, but if you have 500 dives and 450 have been in your local quarry, you might not be as good of a diver as one may think. Dive count can give some indication of experience but there is so much more to it than that.

Not disagreeing with your comments but I do have a slightly different take. When I dive, some portion of my CPU is generally thinking about what I am doing. Not contributing to silt clouds, etc. I am trying to grow as a diver. I have aquaintences (sp?) that enjoy being underwater but appear to have minimal desire to progress from standing on the bottom when they pause. I think that it is attention to dive skills during the dive count that matters more than the location of the dives during the dive count. Yes, there are skills (drift) that can’t be learned in a quarry, but almost all the skills can be ignored in any water.

For the OP, false sense of security? Probably the buddy thing. I hope that I would be as good a buddy as I want to be.

False sense of security == group dives! We avoid them.

On group dives the following is generally true
- most people in the group think the DM is their own personal buddy
- most people in the group have no dive plan
- most people in the group have no idea where they are, they simply "follow the leader"
- many people in the group have a same ocean buddy way too far away
- these are generally trust me dives

Another one might be good buoyancy skills. You get a false sense of security about everything you learn academically in your training as long as you look good.

Who needs science when you can hover like a boss!

False sense of security == group dives! We avoid them.

On group dives the following is generally true
- most people in the group think the DM is their own personal buddy
- most people in the group have no dive plan
- most people in the group have no idea where they are, they simply "follow the leader"
- many people in the group have a same ocean buddy way too far away
- these are generally trust me dives

I did one of these last night in Canada. My friend, Dan, led a group on a drift into the wreck of the Daryaw then off it for an hour at 95 feet. I assumed Dan was by buddy because he was leading and I've known him since 1988. We had no plan other than follow Dan. We had no idea what may lie in store. We had no idea if we'd end up being in the shipping lanes. It was just a trust me dive. When I started to see 12 minutes of deco on my Shearwater, I thought, "I wonder when we are going to start finding our way up to the shallows? We've only got a 1 hour run before the captain throws golf balls. A plan would have been nice." We stayed together as a tight group though. Dan kept signaling to spread out. "Trust me!"

A bunch of tech guys that normally plan stuff had a false sense of security that, "It was just a recreational dive."

What do you think makes people feel safer, but in reality, not so much?
Dive computers...as in " I'll just do what the computer tells me, it won't let me get into any trouble"...

Back
Top Bottom