Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingscorpio13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering Rarotonga and Aitutaki in October 2018 (2 months from now).

Any recommendations on places to stay and dive shops and is it worth it?

Considering French Polynesia (Bora Bora and Morea) as well. I'm not seeing much for trip reports for either one at least not recent.

Thank you in advance.
~divingscorpio

I was in both Rarotonga and Aitutaki april 2018

I stayed at the muri beachcomber which was in a great location and a walk to the dive shop. It is the perfect location, right next door to the night market for food.

I used Pacific divers Rarotonga when I was there who were fantastic

In aitutaki - stayed at the Aitutaki lagoon resort which was a drive from the dive op, Onu the owner of the dive shop is great and runs a good operation

I could ramble on all day so if you want anymore specific information about the cooks let me know either here or via PM

Cheers

Nate

Dived Rarotonga for a week about 8 years ago, 50 metre visibility, but bugger all fish or marine life. I was very disappointed. Seems because it is so far out in the Pacific, the water carries little nutrients for the marine life. Other than that, a great place for a holiday.

It was even longer ago that I was diving Rarotonga. I found it very Sharky as in white tips all over the place.

They were having a crown of thorns Invasion at the time.

There were fish but not as many as I've seen other places since. Lots of the topography was really fabulous. Is that the island was stunningly beautiful.

Completely agree that Muri Beach is the area to stay but do make sure, to get around the island and perhaps do some deserted beach walking.

Did Moorea and Bora Bora several yrs ago.
Topside, both are very nice. Stayed at the Pearl on both islands. Loved both places.
Diving at Moorea was interesting. Diving at Bora Bora was boring for the most part. Used Top Dive at both locations. Moorea Top Dive was fine.
Bora Bora Top Dive was TERRIBLE! They kept putting me with newcomers for a dive partner, which is fine for a day but not for a week. I paid extra to have a private guide for the last day. Instead of following through, once on the boat, they put me with a couple they had to teach how to giant stride to start the dive. They were out of air when I hit 1700-1800 psi. Guide insisted I go up with the couple and end the dive. Was like that all week.

I dont remember the dive shop but would not recommend it because the dive guide was also the boat driver. the channel in the south of rarotonga is fantastic. it was hard to literally climb from the outer side of the reef. lots of white tips and grey reef sharks. on the outer reef many eagle rays and i saw a great hammerhead. that was 7 years ago though.

There are all the fish you would expect to find in such a reef. But unfortunately only two or three per species. The corrals are nice and all most healthy on Rarotonga. I was told that this has been the case since the fishing rights were sold to the Chinese.

I dove with two dive centers on Rarotonga:
  1. "Big Fish" was nice and well organised. I really liked this shop. But it's expensive.

2. The "Pacific Divers" was a big mess and bad service. Very chaotic.
    Sea the images on: taucher.net/tauchbasis-pacific_divers__rarotonga-bericht-flz101176 (Sorry it's in German... pleas use an online translator to translate it.) Looks all most like "compulsive hoarding syndrome".

There are all the fish you would expect to find in such a reef. But unfortunately only two or three per species. The corrals are nice and all most healthy on Rarotonga. I was told that this has been the case since the fishing rights were sold to the Chinese.

I dove with two dive centers on Rarotonga:
  1. "Big Fish" was nice and well organised. I really liked this shop. But it's expensive.

2. The "Pacific Divers" was a big mess and bad service. Very chaotic.
    Sea the images on: taucher.net/tauchbasis-pacific_divers__rarotonga-bericht-flz101176 (Sorry it's in German... pleas use an online translator to translate it.) Looks all most like "compulsive hoarding syndrome".

Devin95, when were you there?

I went approximately 20 years ago. The fish weren't in plenty though there were lots of sharks. The corals weren't very nice because of a crown of thorns outbreak.

The dive outfit we went with was a very small operation but long closed now. I can no longer remember the name.

Devin95, when were you there?

I went approximately 20 years ago. The fish weren't in plenty though there were lots of sharks. The corals weren't very nice because of a crown of thorns outbreak.

The dive outfit we went with was a very small operation but long closed now. I can no longer remember the name.
I was 2016 and again 2019 on Rarotonga.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom