New wreck coming to Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Stoo : What is the depth at the currently proposed site?

The Norisle has quite a tall profile and legally, there needs to be 70' of clear water above her for navigation (Not that it's in a shipping lane.) The plan is to sink her in about 120' so that the required clearance is met. The stack is the "offending" bit, and there was talk of removing it, but I think that's unlikely.There are two mast currently standing, and these would be removed as they would be problematic for mooring lines.

Assuming she lands properly and stays put, the fun bits should be at depths similar to the Niagara II.

I will. It's probably a little too early to say it's a done deal, but only because I don't want to jinx it. Towing "should be" straight forward, but she's currently sitting in mud we believe so there's a bit of an unknown there.

Viewing the sinking is likely going to need to happen from a boat. The site is a few hundred yards east of the Niagara II site, but the Bruce Trail is not near the shore there, so access would be through pretty dense forest. Based on what happend when we sunk the Niagara, it will be the "social even of the season" so basically anything that floats will be taking folks out. Imagine the scene from Jaws when the bounty is put on poor Bruce the Great White...

This is a news broadcast of the sinking of the N2... it was a good fun. ;-)

Haven't been up to the Tub for over 5 years. It would be a good excuse to get back up there.

This is great news for all divers. Will be following this tread now!

I am just drooling at this becoming a reality.

What viewing boats can we charter for the sinking lol.

It would give me a reason to back to Tobermory.
I just hope they don't strip all the artifacts out of it and leave something for divers to see.
A lot of the artificial reefs I've seen are so sanitized and stripped that they are really boring dives.

It would give me a reason to back to Tobermory.
I just hope they don't strip all the artifacts out of it and leave something for divers to see.
A lot of the artificial reefs I've seen are so sanitized and stripped that they are really boring dives.

Most of that stuff, has been removed and is in safe keeping. I'll remind Mike that we should ask to have it "with all the trimmings".

I don't know if you have ever been on the Niagara, but someone had removed her wheel before we ever got to it. Larry Grahame, the former owner of Divers Den, fabricated and installed a reasonable replacement. I suspect that majority of divers who take the N2 "for a spin" don't realize they're steering with a replacement wheel! :thumb:

Most of that stuff, has been removed and is in safe keeping. I'll remind Mike that we should ask to have it "with all the trimmings".

I don't know if you have ever been on the Niagara, but someone had removed her wheel before we ever got to it. Larry Grahame, the former owner of Divers Den, fabricated and installed a reasonable replacement. I suspect that majority of divers who take the N2 "for a spin" don't realize they're steering with a replacement wheel! :thumb:
Really! I always thought it was the real one!!!

Back
Top Bottom