Liability Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So looking into liability insurance, (currently working under shop insurance but want to do more of my own thing) I have looked at a few DAN in particular and was wondering what others thought. I am looking at the basic liability plus the equipment rider covering me if someone was to be injured by faulty equipment that they get from me.
Is the equipment rider a good idea?
How about the Excess Liability?
I read through the policy and while I may have missed something it would seem that if I have a student and they are injured under my care the policy covers them did not see a distinction pointing towards how the injury would arise.
Just do not want to pay for anything that is not a benefit to me.

Thanks

Edit: I found my answer well at least to the question regarding the equipment rider if a student is injury happens due to my equipment and the answer is that it is not covered so the Rider (if lending or renting them my equipment) is not only a good idea but would be a shame not to have it for the small cost of it.

I would double check the requirements for the equipment rider. I would guess that at a minimum, you need to maintain records of the equipment being serviced and maintained according to manufacturer’s requirements.

I would double check the requirements for the equipment rider. I would guess that at a minimum, you need to maintain records of the equipment being serviced and maintained according to manufacturer’s requirements.
Thanks I would definitely do that just as a paper trail if something should happen even if I did not have the rider. I am not well for now thinking of having a stock of rental gear but say for instance a student comes out has own gear and has a regulator issue. I usually have an extra set up and I let them use it and then something fails.

Something else to think about over all I suppose, scenario on a dive boat not my student just another diver. Has a gear issue and you help them out lend them something or whatever would that cover me still? I hate to see someone miss a dive but am leery of lending gear to others just for that reason. I do take good care of my gear but it is mechanical. Sorry got off track....on my own post lol

Um. Who doesn't maintain records of their equipment service? I certainly do, as well as maintaining records for equipment I service for someone else. They get a copy of it too for their records.

I’m using DAN. I’m pretty happy with it. Of course I’ve never had a claim, so can’t really speak to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom