Found two Apple Watches and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
People jump from the cliffs here into Lake Superior to cool off, and this year it's been exceptionally warm.
Above the thermocline the lakes been mid 60s and so it has been quite inviting. Of course a lot of people are losing stuff due to carelessness and so here goes another treasure dive :)

My son and I carried stage bottles over some rocks in a NC mountain river between Franklin and Highlands, NC last summer. It's a place where people swim and jump off the surrounding rocks into the water.
We were hard pressed to even find 20 feet of depth but at one point during our short dive, we found an Apple watch that had been underwater for about two weeks.
We had to buy a charger to fire it up, although it still held a minimal charge. We were able to find a telephone number for the owner but she had changed it. After spending about a day trying to find any info that could lead us to her, we were unable to and I told my son he apparently just found himself a new watch!

I certainly enjoyed watching your "treasure hunt" FYI I viewed it 2 times -- a record for me.

Two Watches ! Not much of an endorsement of the watch strap holding power ...Can or were they salvageable ?

It reminded me of diving the many California fishing piers- never a dull dive and always another treasure above, below or in front. Fishing lures, fishing lead sinkers and other goodies..

If I may make a suggestion on your bag...

Use a collection bottle ...obtain a gallon bleach bottle, (or 1/2 gallon) cut a 2-to 3 inch star shaped slots in the slanted portion of the bottle. Use a drill, punch or some way make a number of drain holes in the bottom.

No need to fuss with the official dive goodie bag just pick up the object and shove into the precut slots in the bottle. The slots will self seal

Once on shore cut off the top of the bottle to retrieve your treasures.

On your way home visit the local laundry mat for another one gallon bleach bottle-- always a huge supply for the taking .

These collection bottles served me flawless on so many dives over many years -- I suspect they will also for you

Good luck and good diving

Sam Miller, III

My son and I carried stage bottles over some rocks in a NC mountain river between Franklin and Highlands, NC last summer. It's a place where people swim and jump off the surrounding rocks into the water.
We were hard pressed to even find 20 feet of depth but at one point during our short dive, we found an Apple watch that had been underwater for about two weeks.
We had to buy a charger to fire it up, although it still held a minimal charge. We were able to find a telephone number for the owner but she had changed it. After spending about a day trying to find any info that could lead us to her, we were unable to and I told my son he apparently just found himself a new watch!

Bravo, sir! Its good to hear folks going the extra mile to try and do the right thing. Us divers are a breed apart, no?

Thanks again!

Don

I certainly enjoyed watching your "treasure hunt" FYI I viewed it 2 times -- a record for me.

Two Watches ! Not much of an endorsement of the watch strap holding power ...Can or were they salvageable ?

It reminded me of diving the many California fishing piers- never a dull dive and always another treasure above, below or in front. Fishing lures, fishing lead sinkers and other goodies..

If I may make a suggestion on your bag...

Use a collection bottle ...obtain a gallon bleach bottle, (or 1/2 gallon) cut a 2-to 3 inch star shaped slots in the slanted portion of the bottle. Use a drill, punch or some way make a number of drain holes in the bottom.

No need to fuss with the official dive goodie bag just pick up the object and shove into the precut slots in the bottle. The slots will self seal

Once on shore cut off the top of the bottle to retrieve your treasures.

On your way home visit the local laundry mat for another one gallon bleach bottle-- always a huge supply for the taking .

These collection bottles served me flawless on so many dives over many years -- I suspect they will also for you

Good luck and good diving

Sam Miller, III

Thanks, Sam! That almost sounds like an endorsement, watching it twice :)

The watches: They went to my buddies house for charging as I have no Apple products. So far one is confirmed working. The other is on the charger so we'll know soon. I tried the straps and to me they seemed pretty sketchy. Perhaps they're fine for everyday use, but definitely not for diving. BTW, they're only water resistant...

Your dive goody collection bottle sounds like the predecessor to the bags used to collect Lion Fish, and it sounds like a good idea. However, I often collect tin cans and other larger things that may not fit. I usually edit these things out of the final video. Many clean up (treasure) dives last an hour or so, and so I save everyone the boring details by cutting it down some.

I'm going to include a brief video that I made for a local FaceBook page. One that focuses on local events and area history. I didn't make this with the intent to make it public but I feel it will be well received here.

Thanks for the compliment and your time.

DD

I also enjoyed the second video--So much JUNK !
It is very apparent that you need to organized a top side and UW beach clean up- We have them about every six months.

The concept is similar to the Lion fish hotel...But in SoCal we were using the bottle method at least 35 years ago.

In the very early 1960s we were making trap door bug bags …. the normal nylon mesh bag was the base of the unit but we made a 12 X12 trap door -- very seldom made or used any more ---

If it cant be found on amazon it does't exist vs a few years ago If it costs over a dollar we made it - or if it didn't exist we designed and made it...

The ever charging world

Keep up the good work

SAM

Nice video Don. Also thanks for using the SP Mk V / R 109 rig. Old but 100% bullet proof [don't think you'll find those Apple watches quite as dependable].

I have a quarry not too far away that I use for similar dives. I average 5 - 7 sunglasses per dive, and usually enough change for a beer.

My most "interesting" find was the bottom half of a bikini.

Nice video Don. Also thanks for using the SP Mk V / R 109 rig. Old but 100% bullet proof [don't think you'll find those Apple watches quite as dependable].

I have a quarry not too far away that I use for similar dives. I average 5 - 7 sunglasses per dive, and usually enough change for a beer.

My most "interesting" find was the bottom half of a bikini.

Haha Nice! I have often found articles of clothing, shorts etc. But I don't recall ever putting a bikini bottom in the goody bag :) must have brought a smile or two on shore.

As to the MKV 109 its my go to reg. My daughter even preferred to use it during her OW dives this summer and she's 10.

Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment.

DD

Sweet videos! Those apple watch bands are terrible! I recently packed my gear into a local cliff jumping area as well and found two of them at the bottom as well as an iPhone. The owner of the iPhone was located, but I had no luck with the watches. Now I have two paper weights in my room. Looks like you found a good spot to find some treasures!

The fish in the second video reminds me of the fish at my lake. They just follow me around hoping they get fed! They will basically eat crayfish straight from my hand! It's sad how much trash is in or local waters though. If I lived by you I would join in on some of that cleanup fun! I know it's trash, but it still seems like treasure and is good motivation to get out an dive!

Thanks again for your videos!

Sweet videos! Those apple watch bands are terrible! I recently packed my gear into a local cliff jumping area as well and found two of them at the bottom as well as an iPhone. The owner of the iPhone was located, but I had no luck with the watches. Now I have two paper weights in my room. Looks like you found a good spot to find some treasures!

The fish in the second video reminds me of the fish at my lake. They just follow me around hoping they get fed! They will basically eat crayfish straight from my hand! It's sad how much trash is in or local waters though. If I lived by you I would join in on some of that cleanup fun! I know it's trash, but it still seems like treasure and is good motivation to get out an dive!

Thanks again for your videos!
Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment. Are you subscribed to the channel? If so, let me know on YouTube and I'll give you a shout-out.
Also, if you've recorded those dives, put a link on here and I'll check it out.
I enjoy these treasure hunt type dives but the areas I dive are often picked over fairly well.
I might bring some craedadsalong the next time I go to that spot where the bass are. See how they react.
Cheers!

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom