Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had the 'benefit' of teaching through 4 dive shops, all of them owned and staffed by honorable people interested in helping customers and divers. And, in all but one of the shops, retail staff members have been incentivized to sell specific gear. In my first shop, the owner was a fantastic salesman, but he sincerely tried to find the best equipment solution for the customer irrespective of price or margin, within the manufacturer lines we carried (and we carried quite a few). On the other hand, his shop manager seemed to take delight in selling high priced / high margin products, to increase shop sales. But, overall, a customer could be reasonably confident that they would get good advice on gear from that shop.

Two of the shops happened to be a dealer for one of the manufacturer's that the OP mentioned, and they worked hard to sell a) only within that manufacturer's product line to the extent possible, and b) specific products within the line, because it increased their volume with the manufacturer, and resulted in better pricing for the shop. So, I think some customer's got gear at a reasonable price, but which was really not gear that facilitated their continued development as a diver

Now, I understand, in fact I fully agree with, the fact that dive shops are in business to not just break even but ideally to generate a reasonable profit. These are businesses. They make money by selling - goods and services. I actively support that business mission. What does cause me some concern at times is the habit, that some (certainly not all) shops and shop staff seem to fall into, where they are selling what they want to sell - because it best serves the SHOP'S interests - rather than trying to help the customer assess options and purchase what might best serve the CUSTOMER'S interests, irrespective of margin, or industry incentives. Ideally, a customer walking out with want they want, and need, and the shop ringing up a sale representing a reasonable profit, is the best 'win-win' situation we could hope for.

ok i'll bite, what's your problem with shearwater? considering like half the board dives one
I couldn't care less what others do/don't.
I could not find anything wrong with my nearly 20yrs old Uwatec Aladin.
I have been using Uwatec Bottom Timer more or less since day 1 of my tec dive adventure(since 1998). Back in those days Gauge Mode was NOT an option in most computers but nowadays even a cheap Mares Puck can be set in Gauge Mode.
I have NO problem to read the display on my computer. Gauge reading mask is dirt cheap.

I do not challenge other people decision/preference etc. It is none of my business.

For @Geobound where in Ontario do you live? I can, and would be happy to recommend a dive shop in the GTA (Oakville) or a couple in the KW area that I trust totally if you want a second opinion from a different shop.

I have an office in the GTA and one in the north, so I could conceivably cover everything from Oshawa to London, Lake Ontario to Tobermory and just about everything in between. LOL.....

So yes if there are a few good shops that you know of, I would love to hear about them.

Thank you for the offer.

The main reason why I was looking at a package would be;

1) The lifetime warranty that was offered
2) I'm new and one brand made sense in the fact that if I have a problem, it's only one brand that I have to go back to for help.

Often times I've heard one manufacturer point their fingers at another manufacturer should something go wrong, so one brand eliminates the finger pointing.

3) Did I mention I was new? LOL...... Sometimes the path of least resistance is a path worth considering, and that's what happens with these package deals. You may end up spending a bit more I realize, but I'm sure they don't sell you crap?? Ignorance on my behalf maybe, but that's why I'm here appealing for your knowledge.

Yes it was Simply Scuba that I was talking about in the way of loads of videos on line, but I wasn't sure what the forum rules were and didn't want to mention them.

I've recently discovered another series of videos by a gentleman by the name of Alec Pierce.......boy is that guy good! He talks about everything scuba, and at a level that us new people can understand, and I suspect at a level that the more experienced divers can completely relate to as well.

I couldn't care less what others do/don't.
I could not find anything wrong with my nearly 20yrs old Uwatec Aladin.
I have been using Uwatec Bottom Timer more or less since day 1 of my tec dive adventure(since 1998). Back in those days Gauge Mode was NOT an option in most computers but nowadays even a cheap Mares Puck can be set in Gauge Mode.
I have NO problem to read the display on my computer. Gauge reading mask is dirt cheap.

I do not challenge other people decision/preference etc. It is none of my business.

none of those are reasons not to get the shearwater. the shearwater still has a better screen than your uwatec, more features, and excellent customer service and support from the company. it costs more, but offers value for the money.

your argument might as well be to get a motorola flip phone because it still can call people just as well as an iphone x.

none of those are reasons not to get the shearwater. the shearwater still has a better screen than your uwatec, more features, and excellent customer service and support from the company. it costs more, but offers value for the money.

your argument might as well be to get a motorola flip phone because it still can call people just as well as an iphone x.
You are missing the point. He is using a computer in gauge mode and a bottom timer. He is therefore not using a computer, and therefore has no use for any computer functions, be they good or bad.

2) I'm new and one brand made sense in the fact that if I have a problem, it's only one brand that I have to go back to for help.

Often times I've heard one manufacturer point their fingers at another manufacturer should something go wrong, so one brand eliminates the finger pointing.

3) Did I mention I was new? LOL...... Sometimes the path of least resistance is a path worth considering, and that's what happens with these package deals. You may end up spending a bit more I realize, but I'm sure they don't sell you crap?? Ignorance on my behalf maybe, but that's why I'm here appealing for your knowledge.

Yes it was Simply Scuba that I was talking about in the way of loads of videos on line, but I wasn't sure what the forum rules were and didn't want to mention them.

I've recently discovered another series of videos by a gentleman by the name of Alec Pierce.......boy is that guy good! He talks about everything scuba, and at a level that us new people can understand, and I suspect at a level that the more experienced divers can completely relate to as well.

In the GTA, I frequent several dive shops, and they're pretty different. Prices, facilities and attitudes are different. I live just north of the city so my closest shops would be Scuba2000, then AquaSub. I've taken OW training at both Scuba2000 and AquaSub (they were 10 years apart), and I've also done a full-on refresher at Scuba2000. I've purchased most of my and hubby's gear at Aquarius in Etobicoke, some at Scuba2000 and the least at AquaSub. I've also purchased a thing here and there at Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines and did a course there as well. I also bought some stuff from Scuba Gear Canada, which is an LDS in Edmonton.

Alec Peirce used to be the owner of Scuba2000 but he retired several years ago and sold his shop, but he still does the Scuba Tech Tips on YouTube.

In the GTA, I frequent several dive shops, and they're pretty different. Prices, facilities and attitudes are different. I live just north of the city so my closest shops would be Scuba2000, then AquaSub. I've taken OW training at both Scuba2000 and AquaSub (they were 10 years apart), and I've also done a full-on refresher at Scuba2000. I've purchased most of my and hubby's gear at Aquarius in Etobicoke, some at Scuba2000 and the least at AquaSub. I've also purchased a thing here and there at Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines and did a course there as well. I also bought some stuff from Scuba Gear Canada, which is an LDS in Edmonton.

Alec Peirce used to be the owner of Scuba2000 but he retired several years ago and sold his shop, but he still does the Scuba Tech Tips on YouTube.

Fantastic information, thank you!

What do you and your hubby use if I may, since I would likely be diving in the same cold bodies of water as you two do?

I have watched hours and hours of Alec's videos already today, I sure wish he was still the contact at Scuba 2000 that would solve all my problems. LOL.....

I stopped into one of the places that you mentioned and tried to speak with somebody there. The guy I talked with seemed like a really friendly and knowledgeable person, but he was more keen on selling me a dive trip than he was gear. In fact he was one of the people that told me to go away and do some research, and then come back and see him??

I was in the buying mood and just wanted somebody to help me get kitted out, but he kept over talking me and didn't hear what I was saying.

One of the other shops that I was in the person that met me had less knowledge than I did (if you can imagine), and there wasn't anybody else around that I could speak with.........or that seemed interested?

I was given a bunch of Diver magazines, and told to read them through.

Then I stumbled across this forum, and here I sit. LOL......

I think I will draw up a map of all the dive shops around my travel zone, and spend a few days visiting them.

Like somebody has suggested in this thread before (and I'm paraphrasing) "I've waited this long, whats a bit more time shopping around". LOL....

I do not know about the warranty issue, beyond that most good scuba gear is rather robust.

On having only one brand to blame for problems:
- First, again, most good gear is rather robust, so what problems?
- Second, multiple gear failures is unlikely, so maybe BC has issues but not also computer, or reg. So what multiple problems that need to be the same brand?
- Third, the interface between the components is pretty standard, or just none existent. The reg only cares that it's screwed onto a tank and has some BC to maybe be clipped off to when not in use. The inflator hose needs to fit the mostly standard quick connect on the BC, but that hose often comes with the BC and the regulator side of that hose is a standard size. The wrist computer could care less about the BC and the reg. The fins just care about your feet. The mask about your face. The compass about no one. The reg first and second stages care about how the other is tuned, so there it's easier to have one brand. Most of these components do not care at all about the others. Blaming a BC problem on that other brand's regulator is insane.

I would step away from packages. I would talk with shops about mask, fins, wetsuit. The rest, get each component that best fits your needs, from a shop you like if one of them carries it. Why find the package that roughly in aggregate sort of averages out to meeting your needs best? When you can pick each component separately, and do better over all. I'd make a big recommendation for backplate and wing, they are customizable, robust, and often inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom