Where is the Best Overall Diving in the World?? (Big question I know lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming that you are American, I would seriously consider Hawaii. It has most of what you want. The corals aren't as spectacular as the coral triangle, but there's a ton of variety. It also has a huge benefit of not having to obtain work permits, visas, etc. There are a lot of dive shops, countless hotels/restuarants, and if you get bored on one island, you can pretty easily move to another one. The biggest drawback is the cost of living. If you can sort that, I'd give it a look. I'd move there tomorrow if I could afford it.

I can’t really answer the original posters question because I haven’t had the chance to dive the whole world. I have a thing for local shore diving. And not just because I’m cheap! There is something about the independence of it, and it gives me a sense of pride when I do it, and there’s a locals-only kind of vibe about it sometimes that I love, like eating at that great burger joint that only locals really go to. If I were picking a place I would want shore, not just boat, diving to be available.

I've dove most of those locations you mentioned, and I have to say Philippines and Indonesia offers the most variety, healthiest reefs, and most rare and unique critters. I'm now based in Philippines, taking turns between Anilao, Dauin, Tubbataha, Malapascua etc, and doing a few a year to Indonesia. Can't beat these ones. Check out this list, best one online. The Best Scuba Diving in the World: Top 100 Locations - Art of Scuba Diving

I've dove most of those locations you mentioned, and I have to say Philippines and Indonesia offers the most variety, healthiest reefs, and most rare and unique critters. I'm now based in Philippines, taking turns between Anilao, Dauin, Tubbataha, Malapascua etc, and doing a few a year to Indonesia. Can't beat these ones. Check out this list, best one online. The Best Scuba Diving in the World: Top 100 Locations - Art of Scuba Diving

Really? Philippines/Indonesian coral bests Fiji/Palau/etc.?

p.s. - Just took a look at your site Justin. Very impressive. How many of those 100 sites have you dove so far?
...The Cedarville in Michigan I thought was very, very meh (but I'm not a wreck guy).
...And in regards to your comment section, I saw some Similan shop was propping Mergui -- I just worked with an instructor who was there for the past few years. He said the Sea Gypsies and their dynamite fishing has been destroying the area.

I'm frankly very surprised that no one has mentioned Galapagos yet..

I get that it's cold, tough current, not the best visibility, not the best coral, etc..

But it's pretty consistently rated as one of the top 10 places in the world to see Sea Lions, Dolphins, Whale Sharks, Sharks AND Mantas. Most top-rated places are only known for one or two of the aforementioned species.

The best overall diving I've done is Palau, via one of the Aggressor boats. Socorro is amazing, but I think that crossing would get super old pretty quickly.

James

I tend to say the only dive where you don't get wet. Part of a diving family. Kids started because of parents. We have never limited ourselves to what we could do together and have definitely been made better by diving with other people of other skill levels. More interesting as time has gone by is that our kids have totally surpassed us. Son is a DM but has little time to go take the next step but after daylight dives in OZ was put in the water as "shark bait" on a night dive as a customer on a liveaboard out of Cairns. Super easy buddy totally but always aware. Then we have the other one . . . the younger kid is a daughter. No longer in the dive business as she needed to make enough to pay her rent. Totally completely awesome. Would spend hours with kids even just at the snorkeling age. Her idea of being a good instructor was to make sure her students loved loved loved diving even if their next trip was elsewhere. I am so totally proud!

Noticed that New Zealand wasn't on your list.
The Poor Knights Island North of Auckland is rated in the top ten dive spots in the world.
Other things going for New Zealand is that they speak English and the exchange rate is very good.
No tipping either. Friendly people. The only negative is that driving on the left side of the road can be challenging if not used to it.

you don’t like tipping dive professionals?

Noticed that New Zealand wasn't on your list.
The Poor Knights Island North of Auckland is rated in the top ten dive spots in the world.
Other things going for New Zealand is that they speak English and the exchange rate is very good.
No tipping either. Friendly people. The only negative is that driving on the left side of the road can be challenging if not used to it.

Are you high?

I tend to say the only dive where you don't get wet. Part of a diving family. Kids started because of parents. We have never limited ourselves to what we could do together and have definitely been made better by diving with other people of other skill levels. More interesting as time has gone by is that our kids have totally surpassed us. Son is a DM but has little time to go take the next step but after daylight dives in OZ was put in the water as "shark bait" on a night dive as a customer on a liveaboard out of Cairns. Super easy buddy totally but always aware. Then we have the other one . . . the younger kid is a daughter. No longer in the dive business as she needed to make enough to pay her rent. Totally completely awesome. Would spend hours with kids even just at the snorkeling age. Her idea of being a good instructor was to make sure her students loved loved loved diving even if their next trip was elsewhere. I am so totally proud!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom