New Mares SLS BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phenomenal info; thanks for the info. As to the trim pockets, is there an option to rig them on your kit an customize their location? It looks like there could be room or spaces for this. Also, how does the bladder sit on you position-wise; would you say higher, lower, or middle of the back? Thanks again!

I'm 1.70 and I own the "S" in size. It's very comfortable, even with a 3mm wetsuit. My buddy is shorter (and female) and she own the XS, she had same trouble with the length of the shoulder straps, she is OK now as she figured that have to tight them a lot to have the BCD tight on the body (she still have some issue with the chest strap as it comes just across the breast).
I don't think you can move the trim pockets a lot, if I'm not wrong the belts are sewn, I will let you know in some days as it is my backup BCD and it's not here with me atm.

As any back inflate BCD, I really recommend to install the (additional) crotch strap, it really makes the whole thing more tight and will help with the trim.

I'm 1.70 and I own the "S" in size. It's very comfortable, even with a 3mm wetsuit. My buddy is shorter (and female) and she own the XS, she had same trouble with the length of the shoulder straps, she is OK now as she figured that have to tight them a lot to have the BCD tight on the body (she still have some issue with the chest strap as it comes just across the breast).
I don't think you can move the trim pockets a lot, if I'm not wrong the belts are sewn, I will let you know in some days as it is my backup BCD and it's not here with me atm.

As any back inflate BCD, I really recommend to install the (additional) crotch strap, it really makes the whole thing more tight and will help with the trim.

Great, thanks for the heads up and crotch strap recommendation; and so long as the trim pockets are usable (they seem to be almost directly behind the main integrated ones which seems sort of odd to me), then I think this may be a good starter back option for one uncertain they want to take the leap into a BP/W rig. Thanks again for taking the time!

Indeed, it's similar to a backplate with substantial differences: it cannot be customized like a real BP, it has a ABS (plastic) backplate, it has the integrated weight (that can be removed; I removed mine). As pros: it's one of the lightest BCD with a rigid backplate (coz it's in ABS) right after the Xdeep Ghost (that has aeronautic metallic blackpate) so very useful if you travel a lot. And considering how it's made, the price is friendly too. Oh and it supports the double tank as well, whenever I wouldn't recommend to install two tanks on a plastic backplate.

Hmmm...Overall, I feel it would certainly make a good beginner intro to a more back-oriented BC experience which could provide insight as to whether or not to go full BP/W, remain with a simple BI, or go to a vest (though I do not foresee this latter option being the case). Very good points about the lack of customization and seeming inability to handle a double. Thanks for the updated answer!

Wondering if you’d mind sharing your experience to date with the BC? The trim pouches seem to be oddly placed and a bit low, at least as far as I can tell. T/M.

I havent had any issues with buoyancy, but YMMV. I usually distribute about 60/40 dump/trim pouches and it keeps me level in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom