New instructor here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Ducky diver, Welcome.

FYI. One can edit posts -- or thread titles... -- for a short while after creating them -- a day, 24 hours. Usually to fix a typo, or clarify an existing point. The intent, I assume, is to encourage clarity rather than to promote rewriting of discussion history. Used in moderation, it improves the thread for later readers. Changing one's stance in a debate on a topic, to make it seem you never held a view, would be considered poor form. And rather against the idea of the board as a mutual exchange of ideas for all's benefit. Yet, if one wanted to revise the title on an overly bold entry into the board..., that might fall under a second chance to make a first impression....

Edit to add:
The tool for editing a thread title should appear -- for its creator -- on its first page as a link with title like 'edit thread' or some such. See how I made it clear I've edited this post. Very transparent, yet allowed me to clarify without making a new post. Especially as no one seems to have posted after me yet.
(and tweak wording above. I wind up rewriting often, good writing is rewriting...)

So much for youthful enthusiasm. Nursing is known for eating thier young.

Apparantly so is Scubaboard.

So much for youthful enthusiasm. Nursing is known for eating thier young.

Apparantly so is Scubaboard.
How long have you been here? :D

and if you're feeling really nice maybe look over my resume (message me for it) and give me tips on how to stand out more from the rest of the crowd.
Please and thank you.

Trust me on this. Standing out from the crowd as a diver is the worst thing you can do if you are seeking employment in a resort setting. You'll want to be as generic as possible. The last thing they need is a diver. What they do need is someone who can either run a business or fix stuff. A perfect resume would read something like:

• Worked as a banquet server at a large hotel chain in high school. (I can make animals out of fruit.)
  • Worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp in college.
  • BS degree with a 3.5 GPA in Accounting.
  • 4 years in US Air Force as a diesel mechanic. Honorable discharge.
  • PADI MSDT.
  • Play the Guitar.
  • Speak 3 languages fluently.
  • Have beard and man-bun.
If you want a career as an independent instructor then you want to stand out. They'll never hire you once you become a cave diver, tech diver, or take a GUE course.

Trust me on this. Standing out from the crowd as a diver is the worst thing you can do if you are seeking employment in a resort setting. You'll want to be as generic as possible. The last thing they need is a diver. What they do need is someone who can either run a business or fix stuff. A perfect resume would read something like:

• Worked as a banquet server at a large hotel chain in high school. (I can make animals out of fruit.)
  • Worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp in college.
  • BS degree with a 3.5 GPA in Accounting.
  • 4 years in US Air Force as a diesel mechanic. Honorable discharge.
  • PADI MSDT.
  • Play the Guitar.
  • Speak 3 languages fluently.
  • Have beard and man-bun.
If you want a career as an independent instructor then you want to stand out. They'll never hire you once you become a cave diver, tech diver, or take a GUE course.
Thank you for the information.

Thank you for the information.

Sure! What you want is to sound like you are handy, a team player, fun but not an excessive drinker or partier, educated, malleable, able to teach PADI programs, and good with people.

Oh Joy !

120 dives in 9 Years and now an INSTRUCTOR !

Pease do not return to California remain some where in the far east.

Samuel Miller, 111

Samuel,

I think your comment was really rude. Everybody need to start from something. Yes, I would not go to instructor who has 120 dives under the belt, however, there was time when you did your first dive and was full of enthusiasm. if you would hear such comments like "I do not want to be buddy with you as you have only 10 dives... go and dive with someone else... etc." you would be upset as well. Please always remember your begin of the diving journey and maybe then you will not be such old and grumpy man :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom