New instructor here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the title is the only thing edited, the original title that I saw is quoted by soloist on page 2. The post text was quoted on page 1 and still seems the same. I might characterize the original title more as grandiose, miss-guided, advertising. The thread title seemed likely to draw a lot of attention and fire from those pursuing lists of thread titles, so encouraging a change seemed best.

I just skimmed all the pages but-- just out of curiosity, was it mentioned by the OP approximately how many unlogged dives he had? As a teenager or whatever. Like 10---or 300?

I just skimmed all the pages but-- just out of curiosity, was it mentioned by the OP approximately how many unlogged dives he had? As a teenager or whatever. Like 10---or 300?
Unlogged around 100-200

In my moderator's voice:

I've done some more clean up in here. Let's try to keep on track in a positive way please.

Congrats on your IE pass Ducky! We all start somewhere. It's all in what you decide to become now. A crotchety curmudgeon, or a genuinely helpful instructor. Stay a student yourself and keep learning. There's some great folks on SB from which to glean wisdom. You'll see them shine through. Excited for ya. Good luck!

If you want a career as an independent instructor then you want to stand out. They'll never hire you once you become a cave diver, tech diver, or take a GUE course.

or take a GUE course?... oh no, I'm doomed!!! Lol...

Great post to help the guy out.

Trust me on this. Standing out from the crowd as a diver is the worst thing you can do if you are seeking employment in a resort setting. You'll want to be as generic as possible. The last thing they need is a diver. What they do need is someone who can either run a business or fix stuff. A perfect resume would read something like:

• Worked as a banquet server at a large hotel chain in high school. (I can make animals out of fruit.)
  • Worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp in college.
  • BS degree with a 3.5 GPA in Accounting.
  • 4 years in US Air Force as a diesel mechanic. Honorable discharge.
  • PADI MSDT.
  • Play the Guitar.
  • Speak 3 languages fluently.
  • Have beard and man-bun.
If you want a career as an independent instructor then you want to stand out. They'll never hire you once you become a cave diver, tech diver, or take a GUE course.

Is a fake bun acceptable? lol. Don't answer that.

@Ducky diver,

I'd just add can fix air compressors, as if the boat doesn't run or the air compressor doesn't run, the business doesn't run.

Stick around enough, and you'll see that I have a big mouth and am not a conformist. This has both hurt and helped me. In team settings, it has definitely hurt as I've been seen as opinionated and disruptive. However, as an autonomous instructor, it definitely helps me.

I know nothing about you, what your goals are. I'd recommend reading this blog post by Andy Davis: An Evaluation of the Modern Scuba Diving Training Industry

Decide what segment of the market you wish to focus. You may have to start at the bottom as there is a learning curve. And you may want to stay there. Or you may want to move up the pyramid. Just remember, the part of the segment you wish (or are willing) to focus has to match that of your employer. If it doesn't (personal experience), you will have a fundamental philosophical disagreement and a parting of ways.

I hope this helps.

On the other hand, I became an instructor with just over 120 dives and now I have over 6000. And I haven’t taught in almost 20 years, aside from specialties.

Welcome to the pond, ducky. There is some outstanding wheat here, but ya gotta sift through some chaff.
I like this.

Too often people think number of dives if directly linked to experience.

When I went through my IDC and IE, my principle CD had less dives than me however her teaching skills and the ability to pass on information to those learning recreational diving is beyond reproach, indeed she's still my main goto person when I need assistance or advice.

As long as the OP can demonstrate good in water skills, can demonstrate all skills neutral or on fin tips at the worst then I'm good.

I've seen seasoned and very "experienced" instructors who still only teach on knees. Old dog, new tricks and all that

Is a fake bun acceptable? lol. Don't answer that.

@Ducky diver,

I'd just add can fix air compressors, as if the boat doesn't run or the air compressor doesn't run, the business doesn't run.

Stick around enough, and you'll see that I have a big mouth and am not a conformist. This has both hurt and helped me. In team settings, it has definitely hurt as I've been seen as opinionated and disruptive. However, as an autonomous instructor, it definitely helps me.

I know nothing about you, what your goals are. I'd recommend reading this blog post by Andy Davis: An Evaluation of the Modern Scuba Diving Training Industry

Decide what segment of the market you wish to focus. You may have to start at the bottom as there is a learning curve. And you may want to stay there. Or you may want to move up the pyramid. Just remember, the part of the segment you wish (or are willing) to focus has to match that of your employer. If it doesn't (personal experience), you will have a fundamental philosophical disagreement and a parting of ways.

I hope this helps.
Thanks you I'll read that blog post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom