Brand new OW diver - PADI or GUE to progress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my take on it. I am a lazy diver. I use standard gases because I can't be bothered with messing about with "best mix" because the benefits are marginal, and the risk of mistakes much higher if you keep changing gases.
The same with deco. I know what works for me, and I'm happy to be more conservative, but I'll chat with my team in advance and agree a plan.

If someone decides to stick rigidly to GUEs standard class limits I see no issue there. But I do see an issue with not agreeing a plan in advance.

Thanks
John

@salmon_ella I found a gray hair this morning that wasn't there before and it's in a super noticeable, front-and-center location on my head. This makes me feel old and, hence, automatically qualified to provide unsolicited, but assuredly sage, advice.

Seems like you're close to pulling the trigger on doing Fundies. Do the class and after that, decide which parts you like, work for you and your buddies, keep you safe and let you have fun diving.

@stuartv @Lorenzoid and I are probably gonna keep talking about the deco dive planning and how Stuart risks his life every time he goes diving because he isn't GUE, but that's what old men like us do.

EDIT: @wetb4igetinthewater and @johnkendall are also in the deco planning conversation - makes sense because they are also old codgers

the risk of mistakes much higher if you keep changing gases.

John,

And why is that? If a diver analyses/labels gasses at the shop and then at the dive site, enters all of that in the dive planning software/dive computer, how is there an increased risk?

Whether you use standard gasses or not, the process is the same.

John,

And why is that? If a diver analyses/labels gasses at the shop and then at the dive site, enters all of that in the dive planning software/dive computer, how is there an increased risk?

Whether you use standard gasses or not, the process is the same.

Based on my experience, always using the same gas (Or one of a very small number of gases) makes it easier to remember all the limits for a dive. Changing gases every dive just ends up with people remembering the details for the wrong dive.
Again, its one of the great things about the GUE system, it enables you to be lazy, as you just *know* what is going on, rather than having to try and remember.

The deeper the dive, and the more gases required, the higher the risk of issues with unique gas choices for each dive.

Thanks
John

From the typical profiles I have run, best mixes were not adding as decompression advantage as I had initially thought. Standardizing gases for specific depths ultimately results in table-like limits or "ratios." If you are doing your very first dive then standard gases may seem as tedious as best mixes but after 100 dives on standard gases, your profiles/deco times become extremely predictable.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking hypotheticals. I know a GUE diver here locally. The issue I've seen (with him) is that . . . .

Sure, it would be easy enough for him to figure out how to plan a dive using M-D and other than Standard Gases - and "more modern" GFs. But, that is all well outside his training. Not hard, but not how he was trained. And the Kool-Aid is strong with that one...

Just to be clear, I sincerely hope you do not judge all divers who got some or all of their training from GUE by that one guy.

I will stick with Padi we are open water certified
Next month going to Cozumel
And getting Advanced open and nitrox and deep diver and maybe drift also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom