• I use a mechanical compass exclusively

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I use both interchangeably

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • I don't know how to use a compass

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only a recent e-compass owner, so it is a slow assimilation.... still not there yet... nearly 30 years makes it a hard habit to break.

I use both, but I wouldn't say "interchangeably". I use my Perdix compass when my navigational needs are modest. E.g. in the local quarry, to know which direction to swim to get back to the stairs. When I do a dive where I anticipate a need for more precision, I use my DGX Tech compass on the back of my right hand. It's easier to get straight out in front of me than my computer, which is partway up my forearm.

What I am really looking forward to is finishing my CCR training and, eventually, putting a NERD2 on my CCR. Having that compass right in front of my face should be the best thing ever for navigation.

I have a Mares Icon and I find the compass too sensitive. It swings too fast, sometimes wildly. I bought a DGX Delux Pro mechanical compass, specifically because of the very large side window. I can now run a straight track over mud in low viz water.

DGX Deluxe Pro Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

I use both but not interchangeably. I use the Shearwater compass for general headings, similar to how I use the compass in my vehicle to make sure I'm going the right general direction. Great in caves where I no longer bring an analog compass, great in the ocean, etc.
If I need to actually navigate somewhere and it's not great vis I use a nav slate with a map compass on it. I find it a lot easier to navigate that way when precision matters

I appreciate all the responses so far. It has been a bit eye opening.

For record I have never used an electronic compass and use my SK7. However after reading the responses I will start looking at my Perdix one too.

I use a mechanical compass. For myself, it just feels natural. That being said, I started my OW several years ago with the same compass and it is still my daily driver. Couldn’t imagine leaving it behind.

Used the teric compass significantly for the first time last week.
Actually the first time I used a wrist mounted one. Even though I had a perdix previously, i was comfortable with my mechanical one attached via retraction cable to a d-ring on my bcd.
The hardest part had nothing to do with the teric's functionality which is excellent.
The issue I kept having was keeping my wrist pointed directly in front of me. Subconsciously, I was pointing my wrist in the direction I wanted to go but not actually facing. Once I realized I was doing that, it seemed to work very well and fluid.

What I am really looking forward to is finishing my CCR training and, eventually, putting a NERD2 on my CCR. Having that compass right in front of my face should be the best thing ever for navigation.

Yup! Exactly.

What's really cool is that if you don't tell your buddies that your NERD has a compass. They think that you are some sort of wizard or something - you just swim along the exact heading without looking at anything.

What does the Teric compass look like? Does it take the whole face and look like a normal compass?
This is the compass overlay. There is also a numerical heading compass that you can program to be recalled with one button press.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom