Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful day today--sunny, not too hot for August in SC, and no thunderstorms. Water temp 78-79 from the surface to the 40' platform, which is where I spent my time today. Vis had improved from a couple of weeks ago to maybe 10 ft.

Isn't that platform Imploding?

62'. The coldest I've found there was 48' in the winter.

Some guys set up a tent inside the concrete barrier. Their wetsuits really stank...I could smell piss 30 ft away. Hope they use cleaner or something the next time.

Isn't that platform Imploding?

That particular platform may be the only one still intact. There were some divers kneeling on it below me while I was attempting to hover at 20 or 30 ft.

@Lorenzoid uggh, that viz sounds horrid.... think it is algae bloom or runoff from all the rain?

Tripp at Jocassee Dive Shop explained that the vis has been worse this year than previous years because Duke Power drained the reservoir that feeds Jocassee to do some major maintenance work.

By the way, the water level was as high as I have ever seen it. The ramps were completely submerged, and the middle section of the dock was awash.

That particular platform may be the only one still intact. There were some divers kneeling on it below me while I was attempting to hover at 20 or 30 ft.

You mean the small PVC one to the right?

Some guys set up a tent inside the concrete barrier. Their wetsuits really stank...I could smell piss 30 ft away. Hope they use cleaner or something the next time.

A disgusting habit that some divers feel is ok or normal.

The water level has been lowered by 3'. End of ramp is 22'. Water temp a nice 78-ish.

Water temp 79-80. End of ramp 18'.

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_170540980.jpg
    IMG_20180925_170540980.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 118
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom