10 lb. max in integrated pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need 30 lbs. with a 7mm wetsuit and aluminum 80 tank in saltwater. Previously I've been diving the shop's Aqualung Pro HD, which has a 30 lb. max, so I stick a couple 5s and a 3 in each integrated jacket pocket and a 2 on the tank pockets.

I really liked the features and comfort of the Aqualung Dimension, but I see that it specifies 10 lbs. per pocket. Is that true of even soft weights? Because it would be a real pain to have to stuff 5s in the tank pockets, plus I don't think it would do my trim any favors.

I am thinking about getting steel HP 80s, so that would help by 8ish pounds, but what if I can't get steel? Is this a bad choice of BCD for me, or do folks have suggestions for how to handle this situation? Thanks.

Just my $0.02, but...

In a 7mm, you might want to put some on a belt in case you ever have to ditch the bc, or lose a weight pocket, you don't want to pop to the surface like a cork.

Aqualung weight pockets are not all that secure, so no I wouldn’t overload them. If you intend to continue diving coldwater do yourself a favor and read some of the endless threads on here about back plates and wings. Search: BP/W

Basically the back plate, (which will improve your trim, is way less bulky and cluttered, is customizable, and allows you to grow into tech if desired) can weigh 5 pounds itself, then you buy whatever weight pockets YOU want to add to it.

Look at a "weight harness". For dry suit or 7mm, I find weight belt uncomfortable with a lot of weight. The harness distributes weight to your shoulders and feels more secure.

I have DUI’s weight harness. I like it but how do I incorporate it with the bp/w? The weight pockets are at the same level as my waist strap so the rig’s weight is more on my shoulders with little support from the waist strap. Any tips?

A SS plate, weighted STA, and pockets on the waist belt and upper tank band would give you plenty of options. Switching to a steel tank would help too.

I need 30 lbs. with a 7mm wetsuit and aluminum 80 tank in saltwater. Previously I've been diving the shop's Aqualung Pro HD, which has a 30 lb. max, so I stick a couple 5s and a 3 in each integrated jacket pocket and a 2 on the tank pockets. I really liked the features and comfort of the Aqualung Dimension, but I see that it specifies 10 lbs. per pocket. Is that true of even soft weights?
The specifications are based on weight, not configuration (soft vs hard). So, while the Pro HD (at least, in the L and XL sizes) will accommodate a total of 30 pounds in the integrated pockets, the Dimension is rated to only 20 (presumably because of the space in the BCD available for the pockets, even though the actual pocket size should be the same).
wnissen:
Is this a bad choice of BCD for me, or do folks have suggestions for how to handle this situation?
I have to agree with the suggestion to consider a metal (specifically SS) backplate, simply to accommodate your weighting needs. This is not a 'BP/W is the best thing since sliced bread' comment, rather a refklection on the differences in buoyancy characteristics of the two types of BCDs. The net 'gain' - i.e. reduction in weight requirements - in moving from a positively buoyant, padded, fabric BCD to a 6lb SS BP without padding is greater than the 6lb weight of the plate itself, and will probably be at least 8 lbs, if not 10. So, the change will leave you with an 'added lead' requirement of (only) 20-22 lbs. Adding a SS STA (single tank adapter) might contribute another 1-2 lbs change. Be sure to get cam bands with stainless steel (n0t plastic) buckles.

In addition, moving to a steel cylinder as you are considering will further reduce that requirement. You mention moving from an AL80 to a steel HP 80, which is a good idea. If you look at a 'standard' cylinder buoyancy chart (e.g. Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan), the 'full' buoyancy of a Luxfer AL80 is listed as -1.4 lb, while the 'full' buoyancy for a Faber HP80 is ~ -13.2 lb. A Faber HP100 might be even better (~ -14.8) Even with an HP80, you would be down another ~12 lbs in lead requirements. So, you would possibly be in single digit lead requirements, which could go on a belt, or in quick release pockets on the BP waist strap, to provide ditchable weight.
Diver GC:
I have DUI’s weight harness. I like it but how do I incorporate it with the bp/w? The weight pockets are at the same level as my waist strap so the rig’s weight is more on my shoulders with little support from the waist strap. Any tips?
Although you can adjust the 'length' of the DUI harness - make the straps longer, so that the weight pockets are below the waist strap of the BP, that is really not a good configuration. I do not believe that you can use a W&T harness effectively with a BP. At least I cannot.

I’d also consider a stainless steel backplate with a weighted STA. That takes care of 12 lbs of my weight requirements.

Counting on a HP80 to take off 8 lbs might be tad much in my experience. 4-6 lbs is more realistic.

You are wearing the weight harness too high and/or your tank waist strap too low. The DUI weight harness should be lower than your belt line.

Back
Top Bottom