Bp/w for a larger guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt England

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey SB. Right now I'm AOW, with only about 20-25 dives under me most of which have been in a quarry. My current bcd is an older Cressi air back inflate that I loathe. I do like the back inflate vs jacket bcd, but I really want to go bp/ w when I get a new set up. (Also converting my regs to longhose, because it just makes more sense to me than the traditional rec config.)

My main question is, I'm 5'6", but weigh about 225. And my body shape is smaller diameter legs and arms, but barrell shaped torso. How comfortable is a bpw for someone built like this? (Side note, I've lost about 25 lbs recently, and hope to continue, but want to make sure that my rig is comfortable in the meantime.) Also, I'm looking more toward the single webbing strap dir or hog style setup instead of something like a transplate. I'm mainly looking at the Basic Harness.
Any info or advice would be appreciated. Tia.

Shouldn't have said that (fat guy). Prepare to be castigated for not starving yourself and working out 8-10 hours a day because you are going to die a horrible death very soon. Also because you are abusing everyone that knows you, since when you die (and you will, horribly and soon) they will be lost without you. (Hope this sarcasm keeps the people who actually did this in other threads under their rock).

I too am a "fat" guy (old as well) and I recently switched from an older BC to a soft backpack & harness with a small donut. I love it.

Up here thick neoprene (7mm or more) is the norm. I've reduced mine down to 3mm with a 3mm vest and use polyolefin unders in layers (up to 2) depending on water temp (usually 60's) and whether I'm going to hit the thermoclines (50's at the 1st, 40's at the 2nd). The insulation limits my flexibility enough that it was hard getting the BC on. Not so with the harness. The straps make it a breeze to get on and off.

I got a harness that's a bit more than the one you are looking at. Short Deluxe Harness I wanted the chest strap and find it makes the whole rig much more comfortable. I can adjust it to a perfect fit. My BC didn't have a chest strap and the difference is huge.

After diving the backpack/harness for a year I added a crotch strap. So glad I did. Now my rig is perfect - for me.

Edit: I posted too late. One of them already crawled out from under their rock.

I can't relate in the body size but if that's you in your avatar picture a bp/w would work fine for you. It'd be ideal actually as it would "ungrow" with you. The area you may struggle with is where to put weights as to have them evenly distributed and comfortable. There are a number of threads on this.

I can't relate in the body size but if that's you in your avatar picture a bp/w would work fine for you. It'd be ideal actually as it would "ungrow" with you. The area you may struggle with is where to put weights as to have them evenly distributed and comfortable. There are a number of threads on this.
Yeah, that's me in the pic. Thanks.

Shouldn't have said that (fat guy). Prepare to be castigated for not starving yourself and working out 8-10 hours a day because you are going to die a horrible death very soon. Also because you are abusing everyone that knows you, since when you die (and you will, horribly and soon) they will be lost without you. (Hope this sarcasm keeps the people who actually did this in other threads under their rock).

I too am a "fat" guy (old as well) and I recently switched from an older BC to a soft backpack & harness with a small donut. I love it.

Up here thick neoprene (7mm or more) is the norm. I've reduced mine down to 3mm with a 3mm vest and use polyolefin unders in layers (up to 2) depending on water temp (usually 60's) and whether I'm going to hit the thermoclines (50's at the 1st, 40's at the 2nd). The insulation limits my flexibility enough that it was hard getting the BC on. Not so with the harness. The straps make it a breeze to get on and off.

I got a harness that's a bit more than the one you are looking at. Short Deluxe Harness I wanted the chest strap and find it makes the whole rig much more comfortable. I can adjust it to a perfect fit. My BC didn't have a chest strap and the difference is huge.

After diving the backpack/harness for a year I added a crotch strap. So glad I did. Now my rig is perfect - for me.

Edit: I posted too late. One of them already crawled out from under their rock.

I lol'd but adjusted the title slightly.

Yes. Very comfortable. I dive everything from rash guard to drysuit in mine and I am probably a little thicker than you (5'8" 250). As an aside thickness has its benefits--it is fun to watch the marathon 0% body fat folks shiver while I am toasty warm--and I am pretty sure I can bench press Sam III & IV put together, which makes hurling tanks around pretty easy. Sam III is right to a point in his somewhat off topic and useless to the point post--weight does hurt when you need to swim against current or gear up in a tight dive boat. The BP is also weight, which means less weight on a belt, which is more comfortable & provides better trim. My steel BP means I have minimal additional weight need and is very balanced..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom