Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone been out to dive Windy Point lately? Last report I heard was terrible visibility. I'd like to check it out, but I'm not gonna spend $100+ to spend a weekend diving blind.

Go to Mansfield Dam. If someone is there to charge you it’s a lot cheaper than Windy Point. The viz always seems better also.

Go to Mansfield Dam. If someone is there to charge you it’s a lot cheaper than Windy Point. The viz always seems better also.
I'd be going with a bunch of people, including ladies and kids that don't dive. They'd be swimming/picnicking/etc.

Did four dives there over the weekend, max 60' (OW class) - viz was really good, easily 15ft. Below 40' I personally want a wetsuit, above that, none needed.

Did four dives there over the weekend, max 60' (OW class) - viz was really good, easily 15ft. Below 40' I personally want a wetsuit, above that, none needed.
You dove Windy Point or Mansfield?

Sorry, I just joined and saw this. I hope this info is still helpful to somebody.

I have 100s of dives in Lake Travis (about 30 in the last 2-3 months) and quite a few in other Texas lakes. Not counting tiny places (not really lakes) like Spring Lake or Athens, Travis has the best average vis. Due to the invasive zebra mussels, it's been noticeably better this year. Before classes get in, it's been around 15' above the thermocline and >20' below it. After classes, mainly at Windy Point Park, it can drop to 5' shallow.

The lake's 26' low, so getting in and out at Mansfield Dam over rocks can be iffy. At Windy Point Park, there are stairs all the way in and out. There's more to see at Windy Point, but it's $15 per person ($8/person after 3 PM). At Windy Point you can get cylinders filled, too (I think $10/fill).

Another good Lake Travis option is boat dives on the Giant Stride (LakeTravisScuba.com - Premier Scuba Diving at Lake Travis in Austin, TX!). You can treasure hunt Starnes Island where the party boats pull up and drunk kids lose their stuff.

In my opinion (and others'), Stillhouse Hollow Lake about an hour north of Travis has the 2nd best vis - on average.

I'm willing to answer questions or be a dive buddy most weekends (may be after a class).

I was just at 100' for a couple dives on Sunday (Sep 9). Viz was easily 20' and quite nice as long as you're in the front and not following a bottom farmer :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom