Bp/w for a larger guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey SB. Right now I'm AOW, with only about 20-25 dives under me most of which have been in a quarry. My current bcd is an older Cressi air back inflate that I loathe. I do like the back inflate vs jacket bcd, but I really want to go bp/ w when I get a new set up. (Also converting my regs to longhose, because it just makes more sense to me than the traditional rec config.)

My main question is, I'm 5'6", but weigh about 225. And my body shape is smaller diameter legs and arms, but barrell shaped torso. How comfortable is a bpw for someone built like this? (Side note, I've lost about 25 lbs recently, and hope to continue, but want to make sure that my rig is comfortable in the meantime.) Also, I'm looking more toward the single webbing strap dir or hog style setup instead of something like a transplate. I'm mainly looking at the Basic Harness.
Any info or advice would be appreciated. Tia.
Scuba Force has a back plate and wing that would suit you perfect! Its a completely different design that performs the same function as a standard back plate. The plate is cut for comfort, we offer standard weight in Stainless , and a heavy plate for those that need a bit more weight.
The cut of the plate also promotes a less restrictive design for people that are not as flexible.
you can see the plate and wings we offer at scubaforceusa.com
ot email me at jblack@scubaforceusa.com and i can direct you to a dealer near you.

Back plates go by height only, they don’t make wide ones for wide people. The webbing makes up the size differences for all shapes of people. For your height you’d need a medium size plate to fit your height.
I know DSS made different sizes but they’re not operating at the moment and their future is uncertain. Others make different sizes in regular doubles style plates but I’m not up on which brands there are with multiple sizes.

Scuba Force has a back plate and wing that would suit you perfect! Its a completely different design that performs the same function as a standard back plate. The plate is cut for comfort, we offer standard weight in Stainless , and a heavy plate for those that need a bit more weight.
The cut of the plate also promotes a less restrictive design for people that are not as flexible.
you can see the plate and wings we offer at scubaforceusa.com
ot email me at jblack@scubaforceusa.com and i can direct you to a dealer near you.
Is it the black devil plate? I like the looks of that one..

I'm 6'1" and now weigh 240ish, but have been over 250. I have both a Transpac and a Transplate and love them both. Depending on how flexible your shoulders are, you might consider any of the "deluxe" harnesses out there for the buckles on the shoulder straps. I have a wrecked shoulder and it makes it much easier to get out of.

Best thing is we're all weightless underwater!!! I'll be at the buffet, laughing at the skinny people eating kelp!!

Jay

You might be interested in backplates from Paul (Pavel) Okishev's company, Helium Dive Gear, as he has designed the backplate to take weight pouches. Might be a good option for you.

I am happy with my Freedom contour plate made by @Eric Sedletzky , and Hog wings, and I am experimenting with different harness setups.
I hope you like experimenting!
How stiff do you want your straps? Supple and silky webbing gets Wimpy When Wet. Stiff webbing is easier to get in/out while of underwater, but has to be adjusted precisely not to cut yer guts. Plus stiff webbing is hard to folds and thread through the backplate slots, imagine a dead snake with rigor mortis , ( because it might not be alive but it still “bites”, Ha!)

Regardless of your weight or stature I believe you will quickly appreciate being more streamlined and not having the useless bulk of a jacket around your waist and sides. The suggestion to go with a stainless backplate to eliminate lead is right on point. Personally I wouldn’t rush to buy weight pockets until you are certain that is the direction you want to go and consider starting out with a weight belt.

The truly great thing about a BP/W is you can set it up to your exact needs. I will make minor changes to meet the requirements for a particular trip and add d-rings for attaching gear for hunting or slinging bottles. Conversely you can eliminate features for minimalist vacation diving. Unfortunately it can be a PITA to get it adjusted the first time, especially if your working with stiff webbing so be patient and do some research. Most will try to convince you to go with the hogarthian rigging, but as stated earlier, you have other harness options that may be more comfortable or practical.

I am 6'2" and 270#. Barrel chested. I have no problems using a standard size backplate.

I do prefer the trans-plate harness because I switch from wet to dry and also have a CCR. Same DR deluxe harness on all, makes things much easier for me to transition.

I dove a Mares Dragon for a LONG time and was very comfortable. Now I have gone to a Hog Total Buoyancy Control System. I am overweight and have spinal cord damage as well, and this rig works great for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom