So I am not the only person roasting this moron....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been in a few silt-outs, a couple or so that were hellacious, and yes it makes an impression. But making a big show of thanking God, mom, and the academy to have lived through the nightmare?

I've been in a few silt-outs, a couple or so that were hellacious, and yes it makes an impression. But making a big show of thanking God, mom, and the academy to have lived through the nightmare?
You do realize the guy is an entertainer though, right? On an entertainment "talk" show, talking to a non diver, assuming Joe doesn't dive.

Sounds legit to me. The guy does sound seriously intoxicated and is having trouble making coherent sentences. Other than that, he knows more about cave diving than I'd expect someone who wasn't cave diver to know. Even his brief and simple explanation of jumps would be something an open water diver probably had never even heard of. I think the story is probably true.

On a side note, it seems odd for this thread to be in "non diving related stuff."

What does this have to do with MMA or Thai boxing?

I probably would have a little more interest if he'd started his story saying "here's how bad I suck, glad I learned something"

I'm only a so-so cave diver myself but I do know a few who'd probably rank as super. When someone starts out a story reassuring me of their super-ness, it is just tough to pay attention afterward. Maybe I'm just getting old and crochety.

You guys can rag on him all you want. I could hear the fear and desperation in his voice. Again, I just wonder how many of you are cave certified or have been in a silt out? It's easy to rag on what you don't ever understand.

So your view is you can only recognize what may be hubris, stupidity, or all of the above if you are a cave diver or have been in a silt out? That’s the qualification for questioning this whole video or being eligible to question its veracity?

Sounds legit to me. The guy does sound seriously intoxicated and is having trouble making coherent sentences. Other than that, he knows more about cave diving than I'd expect someone who wasn't cave diver to know. Even his brief and simple explanation of jumps would be something an open water diver probably had never even heard of. I think the story is probably true.

On a side note, it seems odd for this thread to be in "non diving related stuff."

What does this have to do with MMA or Thai boxing?

He’s a MMA guy and honestly as long as I’ve followed his career this cave diving interview is the first time I’ve ever heard of him even being a diver so unclear if it’s truly the case of a cave diver or a guy that was cave diving .

I probably would have a little more interest if he'd started his story saying "here's how bad I suck, glad I learned something"

I'm only a so-so cave diver myself but I do know a few who'd probably rank as super. When someone starts out a story reassuring me of their super-ness, it is just tough to pay attention afterward. Maybe I'm just getting old and crochety.
That, I think is a fair criticism. Like I said earlier, he was probably embellishing a bit.

You know, there's an interesting thing about this story. Perception. He perceives himself as super, yet here he is, by his own account, having a near death dive, panicking and freaking out, yet again by his own account, he has plenty of gas and time.

So your view is you can only recognize what may be hubris, stupidity, or all of the above if you are a cave diver or have been in a silt out?
The guy sounds legit to me and here you go telling us how illegitimate he is. Are you a cave diver? Have you been in a silt out? You keep dodging this question.

With all the on line info available now, should it not be possible to check his credentials?

I think he probably has some diving experience but from the little I know of cave diving, he admits to breaking some of the basic rules I was taught.

And I have personally never met an experienced technical diver, including cave, that would go on record saying “I’m panicking, I’m panicking.” And especially in such benign conditions as he described. The only thing he described that would have trigger true fear for me would have been the safety of his buddy, and this concern he seemed to most downplay.

I call a drama queen that was diving beyond his skills and panicked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom