Mask leaking shallow not deep-normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I went out yesterday with Sea Experience in Ft Lauderdale (they are fantastic by the way, such amazing staff). On the first dive at 70 ft my maskdid not leak at all! On the second dive though at 30 ft, my mask constantly leaked. Very annoying. Someone else on the boat experienced the same.
Q) is this normal and what can I do to avoid it in future.

Maybe tighten the straps a little. There's more pressure holding it in place when you're deeper, so maybe they're a little too loose.

Besides that, run you finger around, or get a buddy too, and make sure hood edge or hair are clear. The hood could’ve been under a bit, and then you moved around and it popped out.

Try moving the head strap. Some masks like it up, some like it down. Tightening it is rarely the answer, it's often the opposite when the strap is pulling too much "up" or "down" and the other edge goes loose. (Also if you have the snorkel attached, try going without it.)

Interesting ideas. I can't say I've noticed any difference deep or shallow. On maybe one out of 20 dives I seem to have to clear water from my mask more than once. It's always on the same way, skirting good, straps tightened correctly. Goblins maybe.

If the problem continues despite making sure there is no hair caught underneath the rim and adjusting the strap, I would say the mask doesn't fit right. On the surface, you should be able to put the mask on your face, suck in through your nose and have the mask stay on without a strap.

As counter intuitive as it may sound, sometimes loosening the strap helps... you've just got to play with it until it works properly...as you go deeper, the air inside the mask compresses, literally "sucking" it to your face, sometimes to the point where exhaling a bit through your nose is necessary... it's called "mask squeeze"...all the above suggestions are valid...good luck!

Definitely happens to me....I have a wide face, so regardless of mask type I get leaks. If the initial part of the dive is deeper then I have a better chance of getting a seal. Just pressure differences as other posters have already noted.

Back
Top Bottom