I can't sink!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A LOT of air can be trapped in the suit at the beginning of a dive...as stated, try pulling on the neck seal to flood the suit... it can make a substantial difference!
That would be my guess as well. The OP is wearing multiple layers, and air can get in beteeen easily. I wonder if the problem is still there after thirty minutes of diving. With the tank somewhat lighter then, it should be worse, but if the air from the suit, BCD, etc is then gone, re-descending would be easier.

I have a feeling that drysuit training is in my future.
If you can afford one this is a really good idea. I have the same style suit that you do and it causes me all kinds of problems.

It was explained to me that if you need that much neoprene to stay warm, you need a drysuit. Having that kind of a suit makes it hard to be properly weighted and can be dangerous if you aren't careful.

Air can be trapped in some plastic plates in some bcs. A hot nail or drill perforting such plates can help fill them faster. Trapped air in suits and layers are much harder to get out. Perhaps strategically placed holes in the suit can help. I think a woman’s shape is worse than a man for air trapping. Henderson made a shortie that I wore outside my full 7 mm, and it has large neck and arm cut outs allowing trapped air to leave quickly.

I struggled to get down when I had a bigger wing (BC). I realized I was struggling to get all the air out. I’ve since moved to a smaller BC and was even able to drop quite a few lbs of lead.

My (inexperienced) instinct is that you only need enough lift to overcome the net negative buoyancy at your heaviest time. That's when you have 4.8 lbs. of air in your tank, at the beginning of the dive. Are you doing a weight check with a full breath of air at the surface?
Just to be sure, I think you should actually do a buoyancy check when you end your dive.

At the end of the dive you will be lighter as you will have less air in your tank.

If you are negatively buoyant at the end of the dive it might be harder for you to stay underwater for your safety stop.

If you do it at the beginning you should then add 2-3kg of weight to compensate (well this is function of the size of your tank)

10% of our body weight plus 15 pounds

Holy Davey's Locker! If I adhered to this rule, I'd be a new reef! I weigh 230, no wet suit, and I wear 10-12 lbs depending on what I ate for breakfast!

Here is another point to consider. Tidal volume and residual volume in your lungs as well as muscle and bone density.
I’m sure at 110lbs you have very little adipose tissue (fat). And wearing less neoprene means getting colder. Especially if you have Raynaud’s Phenomenon. Fingers get numb and cold do to circulatory issues. Means you get cold fast so you’d need the thicker suit.
Back to the issue of negative buoyancy for you.
You are pretty much a set of lungs in dive gear. Everything in your kit is buoyant minus the weight.
Men’s center of gravity and center of buoyancy are further apart linearly on the body. Women’s are closer hence they float differently. Men float vertically, women float horizontally.
Check your center of buoyancy. How do you float?
Do a pool test in just a swimsuit. Exhale normally if you don’t sink grab weight. 1 pound at a time. Once you sink there’s your personal negative buoyancy weight. Now do it in your dive suit. Then do it again with your (rig) or (kit) on.
Boom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom