I'm an instructor, I'm planning a 7'ish yr working-vaction, and I'm looking for location ideas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I posted something general along these lines here the other week. But I thought I'd get a little more specific here.

First, me. I am a PADI MSDT instructor (in the US). I have 4 yrs teaching experience (3 as an instructor, 1 as a DM). I have 5 yrs experience working at a dive shop. I have 2 yrs experience working at a hotel. I have an MBA with a specialization in hotel and restaurant management. I speak 3 languages - English, Spanish and French. I am 30 yrs old.

And I am planning to travel the world for the next 7 (or so) yrs, working as a dive instructor.

I want to see the very best diving that this world has to offer. And also a little bit of this and that culturally (above the surface). I love big marine life -- seals & sea lions, whales & whale sharks, dolphins, big sharks. I love healthy coral reefs. I love cave diving. I've done a lot of research, and talked to a lot of people. And I've sort of devised a rough idea of a plan.

I would love it very much if you guys would take a look at it and chime in with your own personal experiences of diving in and visiting these places and locations. Am I missing one of the best spots? Am I headed somewhere overrated? Any and all input, any experiences or thoughts that you can share.... I would greatly, greatly appreciate.

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback whatsoever!

And without further adieu.. The Plan:

Stop 1: Central/South America - The Galapagos. I know it's going to be a little cold. I know there's rough currents. I know it's not the best visibility. And I know it's not beautiful coral. But this is for sure going to be my first stop. It's the big marine life capital of the world -- Seals, Sea Lions, Humpbacks, Orcas, Whale Sharks, Dolphins, Hammerheads, Mantas, Penguins, Iguanas, etc. I would LOVE to work on a liveaboard in the Galapagos for a year. Some people talk about Cocos, Socorro.. but Galapagos sounds like king. Yucatan, Belize, Bay Islands (Honduras) on the Caribbean side all sound nice.. but Galapagos sounds like king.

Stop 2: The Coral Triangle - Raja Ampat/Indonesia. The Coral Triangle. It sounds like the very best reefs in the world. And Raja Ampat in Indonesia sounds like the best place to base myself out of here. I would LOVE to work on a liveaboard traveling throughout Indonesia's best dive sites, and perhaps into some other countries as well, for a year. The Philippines sound very nice. Papua New Guinea sounds very nice. Borneo's islands sound very nice. Even the Solomon's sound very nice. But if I have to pick one area in this region, I think it's going to be Indonesia, and more specifically Raja Ampat (or Komodo). That being said, the Solomon's are intriguing to me as a less popular place...

Stop 3: The Pacific Islands - Moorea/French Polynesia. The Pacific Islands are a must-stop for me. Fiji seems to get the most hype out there, but I've heard it's been overfished and overdove.. and that it's not quite what it used to be. Palau gets a lot of hype too.. but it doesn't seem there's much to see there besides reefs and smaller sharks (and mantas). French Polynesia, I like the idea of. Moorea and some of the bigger islands, are just the most beautiful dream-like things I've ever seen. And there's a liveaboard operating out there now... hitting all the small, pristine coral atolls out there. Big sharks, dolphins, mantas, pristine reefs, beautiful & safe islands... Humpback whales in season. It seems like The place. *Tonga is a place I'm very interested in too. But you just never really hear much about anything other than the Humpback's out there. I've heard that the reefs are very nice and healthy. But not much about dolphins, sharks, mantas, etc.

Stop 4: Africa - Madagascar. Africa is a place I'd like to experience. South Africa probably gets the most hype with the Sardine Run and all the big marine life. Mozambique gets a lot of hype too. And the Seychelles. But Madagascar just seems like the place for me. Humpbacks, Whale Sharks, Dolphins, Sharks, Mantas. Very under the radar. Very interesting above the surface from what I can tell.

Stop 5: Temperate Diving - New Zealand. I'd like to do some temperate diving. You always hear that the best is in New Zealand or British Columbia. I've been to Canada many times. New Zealand to me just seems like a more exotic and rewarding experience. Poor Knights or Doubtful Sound down south. Still going back and forth a little bit on this... New Zealand vs. British Columbia.

Stop 6: The Mediterranean - Sardinia, Italy. I've never been to Europe. If I'm going to do something like this, I should probably include it. And I'm very open to suggestions here, as I don't know much about Mediterranean diving. Sardinia seems to generally be spoken of as the best spot. Mediterranean marine life and coral... not so great... but great caves and wrecks. It's Italy, so that's cool. Sardinia is such a beautiful island. And there's a liveaboard operating in the Mediterranean out of Italy. Best idea I've had so far here.

Stop 7: The Red Sea - Southern Egypt/Sudan. I've heard the Red Sea is good enough that you've got to go. And I've heard that the Southern Red Sea - on liveaboard - is the best way to see it. Middle Eastern experience should be good for me too.

Stop 8: The Indian Ocean - Thailand-Similans-Mergui-Burma. I know the diving here's not going to compare to some of these other places. But the Indian culture is something that's very intriguing to me. And Burma is probably the closest I could get to it while still getting some decent diving in. Maldives are rumored to be great out there too. But there's just so much time.

Areas I didn't include. The Caribbean. I've lived in the Caribbean, and dove several places in the Caribbean. Jardines de la Reina in Cuba, Tiger Beach off Grand Bahama, Hondura's Bay Islands, The Cenotes in Mexico. Those are places I might like to visit for a week or two. But everything you hear about the Caribbean is that it's generally just second-rate compared to some of these other spots. Hawaii I didn't include either, but that's a place I may end up settling in if I want to remain 'American'.

Like I said before. Would LOVE to hear any thoughts.

First thing you should do is research employment requirements in the various places you intend to travel to.

When we were in the Galapagos on a cruise ship it was made very clear that only residents could work there: Galapagos first, rest of Ecuador next, rest of the world no chance.

Agree with prior post, not only galapagos/ecuador but many other locations will not allow you to work as a foreigner.

I think there are some loopholes.. 6 month visa, teaching english, etc. worst case i’d just head over to cocos instead

First thing you should do is research employment requirements in the various places you intend to travel to.

When we were in the Galapagos on a cruise ship it was made very clear that only residents could work there: Galapagos first, rest of Ecuador next, rest of the world no chance.

I think there are some loopholes.. 6 month visa, teaching english, etc. worst case i’d just head over to cocos instead
No loop holes in the Galapagos.

Let us know what you find out about work permits for Coco's...

No loop holes in the Galapagos.

Let us know what you find out about work permits for Coco's...

I’ve been offered a job on a costa rican liveaboard that traveled to cocos before? the employer never mentioned any difficulties re: being a foreigner

Hi Shark1.

The main dive operators that service the Poor Knights mostly cater to tourists and is very seasonal.
The biggest operator is Dive Tutukaka with 7 boats varying from small rib ( 5-7 divers) to huge (80 people).
They have a small full time staff of about ten people that work year around but in the New Zealand summer that staffing situation swells to 35+. Obviously they rely on people such as yourself to he!p them in our summer.
If this interests you at all call Kate at Dive Tutukaka and ask her how you can work in New Zealand for the summer. Remember that our summer is reverse of the Northern hemisphere summer.

@TheShark1 - my thoughts in bold!

Stop 2: The Coral Triangle - Raja Ampat/Indonesia. The Coral Triangle. It sounds like the very best reefs in the world. And Raja Ampat in Indonesia sounds like the best place to base myself out of here. I would LOVE to work on a liveaboard traveling throughout Indonesia's best dive sites, and perhaps into some other countries as well, for a year. The Philippines sound very nice. Papua New Guinea sounds very nice. Borneo's islands sound very nice. Even the Solomon's sound very nice. But if I have to pick one area in this region, I think it's going to be Indonesia, and more specifically Raja Ampat (or Komodo). That being said, the Solomon's are intriguing to me as a less popular place...

Liveaboards that access Komodo, Raja Ampat, Triton Bay, Alor/Flores/Banda, Cenderawasih regions would be good.

Philippines - Tubbataha liveaboard during the late March to mid June time. You could try to join a liveaboard around Apo or the Visayas the rest of the year or combine it with resort.

Stop 3: The Pacific Islands - Moorea/French Polynesia. The Pacific Islands are a must-stop for me. Fiji seems to get the most hype out there, but I've heard it's been overfished and overdove.. and that it's not quite what it used to be. Palau gets a lot of hype too.. but it doesn't seem there's much to see there besides reefs and smaller sharks (and mantas). French Polynesia, I like the idea of. Moorea and some of the bigger islands, are just the most beautiful dream-like things I've ever seen. And there's a liveaboard operating out there now... hitting all the small, pristine coral atolls out there. Big sharks, dolphins, mantas, pristine reefs, beautiful & safe islands... Humpback whales in season. It seems like The place. *Tonga is a place I'm very interested in too. But you just never really hear much about anything other than the Humpback's out there. I've heard that the reefs are very nice and healthy. But not much about dolphins, sharks, mantas, etc.

Moorea and surrounding area diving is extremely underwhelming. I hear Rangiroa and other regions are better... @Wingy can give you a better idea here and for PNG.

Stop 5: Temperate Diving - New Zealand. I'd like to do some temperate diving. You always hear that the best is in New Zealand or British Columbia. I've been to Canada many times. New Zealand to me just seems like a more exotic and rewarding experience. Poor Knights or Doubtful Sound down south. Still going back and forth a little bit on this... New Zealand vs. British Columbia.

Poor Knights is great but I don't know that I would be able to spend a whole ton of time here. I like warmer and better viz so it depends what gets you excited. Edited to add: Look into liveaboards out in Queensland, Australia. Think Outer GBR.

Stop 7: The Red Sea - Southern Egypt/Sudan. I've heard the Red Sea is good enough that you've got to go. And I've heard that the Southern Red Sea - on liveaboard - is the best way to see it. Middle Eastern experience should be good for me too.

North for wrecks (primarily), south for great pelagic action and reef. So many liveaboard options here. I'm leaving in 10 days for an almost month-long trip and will tell you more when I return. There are a few options of where you can base yourself though most liveaboards take off from Hurghada or Marsa Alam with a few taking off from the Sinai Peninsula.

Stop 8: The Indian Ocean - Thailand-Similans-Mergui-Burma. I know the diving here's not going to compare to some of these other places. But the Indian culture is something that's very intriguing to me. And Burma is probably the closest I could get to it while still getting some decent diving in. Maldives are rumored to be great out there too. But there's just so much time.

From people that have been to Maldives and Thailand, I have been told Maldives is better.

Areas I didn't include. The Caribbean. I've lived in the Caribbean, and dove several places in the Caribbean. Jardines de la Reina in Cuba, Tiger Beach off Grand Bahama, Hondura's Bay Islands, The Cenotes in Mexico. Those are places I might like to visit for a week or two. But everything you hear about the Caribbean is that it's generally just second-rate compared to some of these other spots. Hawaii I didn't include either, but that's a place I may end up settling in if I want to remain 'American'.

Agree Caribbean is very underwhelming compared to the options you've shared above. I'd pass, and you can get there easily anytime.

The diving in French Polynesia is all about the Tuomotos - Dolphins, masses of sharks, great hammerhead mating aggregation, whales - unfortunately you will not be able to secure work there as you are not French and there are no loopholes. Also FP adheres to CMAS certification not PADI so without being a CMAS certified instructor and marrying either a Polynesian or French citizen - you're out of luck. I rate the Tuomotos as probably the best diving in the world.

Madagascar - nice for a topside visit, diving is Ok, Did not see any Americans working anywhere - all French due to Madagascars prior status as a French overseas protectorate. Also most dive shops close during cyclone season. If you tried to work there you would probably be paying more in bribes weekly than you would earn and be prepared to be kicked off the island or imprisoned according to the polices whim. It is not a politically stable country, expect military coups and be aware that lynchings have and do occur should you upset the locals. Madagascar is also CMAS.

PNG - LOBs that are in business have local Papuans working on boats, there are no "resorts" offering courses due to regular tribal violence - Tawali got hit again yesterday with all guests "kidnapped and robbed" Which is unfortunate because I'd rank PNG as the best diverse diving in the world. You'd stand a better chance of securing work as a private security agent than in the diving world if you are ex military - if not, forget that too. Even in the capital Port Moresby you do not venture out of the expat gated communities without a PSA and if you do drive you keep your car doors locked and do not stop for police because they are just as likely rob you as the locals. The two supermarkets are surrounded by barbed wire fences and the security agents will only raise the boom gate to let one car in at a time.

Solomons - Uepi is amazing diving but again, very little job options as they are quite hard to get to so there is no great volume of divers so I'd imagine the owners would have little interest in an "outsider" rather than a known person who has a relationship already established with them.

Tonga - whales are about it - not a lot of reef and whale interactions are done snorkelling not diving.

Indian Ocean - Maldivian political situation is dodgy but I haven't dived there so cannot provide any info on the employment of foreigners situation. Thailand you would be working illegally but plenty of people do it between "crackdowns" - either marry a Thai or have a Thai business partner if you want to be legal.

Raja Ampat/Komodo - guides are all Indonesian. If you have experience as a Liveaboard cruise director you may stand a chance but the process of obtaining a KTAS to work legally there is quite lengthy.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I do know of a job going in Vanuatu - pretty pedestrian diving but Vanuatu has a foreign affairs/aid relationship with Australia so all the non Ni Van people on Vila and Santo where diving is are Aussies running the operations.

Not sure if there is any diving there but American Samoa may be worth a look. Guam as a US Territory may also be an option and there is good diving there.

Good luck!

I've seen diveshops/boats in at least half these areas posting jobs for american padi instructors? I know American dive instructors personally who have worked in Raja, Thailand, FP, Madagascar and PNG. ?? Either all of them are liars or your input is inaccurate.

The diving in French Polynesia is all about the Tuomotos - Dolphins, masses of sharks, great hammerhead mating aggregation, whales - unfortunately you will not be able to secure work there as you are not French and there are no loopholes. Also FP adheres to CMAS certification not PADI so without being a CMAS certified instructor and marrying either a Polynesian or French citizen - you're out of luck. I rate the Tuomotos as probably the best diving in the world.

Madagascar - nice for a topside visit, diving is Ok, Did not see any Americans working anywhere - all French due to Madagascars prior status as a French overseas protectorate. Also most dive shops close during cyclone season. If you tried to work there you would probably be paying more in bribes weekly than you would earn and be prepared to be kicked off the island or imprisoned according to the polices whim. It is not a politically stable country, expect military coups and be aware that lynchings have and do occur should you upset the locals. Madagascar is also CMAS.

PNG - LOBs that are in business have local Papuans working on boats, there are no "resorts" offering courses due to regular tribal violence - Tawali got hit again yesterday with all guests "kidnapped and robbed" Which is unfortunate because I'd rank PNG as the best diverse diving in the world. You'd stand a better chance of securing work as a private security agent than in the diving world if you are ex military - if not, forget that too. Even in the capital Port Moresby you do not venture out of the expat gated communities without a PSA and if you do drive you keep your car doors locked and do not stop for police because they are just as likely rob you as the locals. The two supermarkets are surrounded by barbed wire fences and the security agents will only raise the boom gate to let one car in at a time.

Solomons - Uepi is amazing diving but again, very little job options as they are quite hard to get to so there is no great volume of divers so I'd imagine the owners would have little interest in an "outsider" rather than a known person who has a relationship already established with them.

Tonga - whales are about it - not a lot of reef and whale interactions are done snorkelling not diving.

Indian Ocean - Maldivian political situation is dodgy but I haven't dived there so cannot provide any info on the employment of foreigners situation. Thailand you would be working illegally but plenty of people do it between "crackdowns" - either marry a Thai or have a Thai business partner if you want to be legal.

Raja Ampat/Komodo - guides are all Indonesian. If you have experience as a Liveaboard cruise director you may stand a chance but the process of obtaining a KTAS to work legally there is quite lengthy.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I do know of a job going in Vanuatu - pretty pedestrian diving but Vanuatu has a foreign affairs/aid relationship with Australia so all the non Ni Van people on Vila and Santo where diving is are Aussies running the operations.

Not sure if there is any diving there but American Samoa may be worth a look. Guam as a US Territory may also be an option and there is good diving there.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom