Dive knives: Tester's choice or go cheapie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I've never been asked to leave my dive knife behind in CZM, but I wouldn't call it a BFK, either.

Knives and gloves are not allowed in the marine park in CZM. That's why I carry my folding knife in my pocket (along with gloves in case I need them). The BFK is a foot long. Whether or not the dive op enforces it is up to them. They are the ones who get fined. Just sayin'

Cheers -

Knives and gloves are not allowed in the marine park in CZM. That's why I carry my folding knife in my pocket (along with gloves in case I need them). The BFK is a foot long. Whether or not the dive op enforces it is up to them. They are the ones who get fined. Just sayin'

Cheers -

Mine, mounted to my BCD, is actually hard to spot - unlike a foot long leg mounted knife. I've been to more than one place that didn't like knives, and I have never been busted.

@stuartv made this suggestion to someone a year ago and I saw it. I did exactly as he suggested and haven't regretted it for a minute. I have a great BFK that I can't wear because of the marine park regulations, so I bought a cheap folding knife from LeisurePro that I carry in a pocket except when I'm Lion Fish hunting. On my last trip a fellow diver liked my setup so much that he offered to buy it when I left. You can get cheap EMT shears in a bunch of places.

Cheers -

Who told you that you couldn't carry a knife? We've got at least 200 dives off Cozumel, and none of us have ever been asked to leave our knives behind.
Now, admittedly, none of us carry a BFK (except me, and only when I'm lionfish hunting), but we all carry at least a knife. Personally, I carry a knife, trauma shears, and a line cutter.

Who told you that you couldn't carry a knife? We've got at least 200 dives off Cozumel, and none of us have ever been asked to leave our knives behind.
Now, admittedly, none of us carry a BFK (except me, and only when I'm lionfish hunting), but we all carry at least a knife. Personally, I carry a knife, trauma shears, and a line cutter.

I can't find a direct source but the "prohibited items" list here is repeated on multiple sites Marine Park Rules

I heard a story once about a diver who got bent after chasing down an expensive dive knife he dropped.
That got me thinking.

In over 1,500 dives I’ve used my knife maybe five times. Most commonly to cut monofilament fishing line.
The idea I'll ever need a knife to defend myself against a shark, or one of those underwater secret agents from the James Bond movies, is kinda unlikely.

So, I buy the cheapest folding knives with a locking blade I can find… No worries if I loose it. Usually $7 to $10 at the discount hardware store is all it takes. If I find a model I like, I buy three or four of them at a time. A knife like that can last about a year for me. I just throw them out when the blade start to get rusty. I carry them in a generic nylon knife pouch on my waist webbing.

For me, it’s important to buy a knife I can operate with gloves on. That’s how we dive here. So, my knife must be of a certain minimum size, and have a big easy unlocking mechanism. I prefer the ones with a push-down button on the top of the handle to unlock.

I remember reading a story here on SB about a diver who became tangled in some line and couldn’t reach his cutting tool. So, I also carry a couple zip cutters; one on my wrist and another on my webbing. After reading that story I now believe it’s important to have two or three cutters located at different points on your body in case your reach is somehow hindered.

I've found a lot of fixed-blade knives other divers have lost. Some of them I know are expensive... titanium blades. If the divers had written their phone number on the knifes I would have been able to return them. Now they're just sitting in an old tool box in my garage.
A sad end for such noble dive gear.
I'd use them myself, but the problem is the dive knife manufacturers will not sell just a replacement sheath.
With a fixed-blade knife you need a specific fitted sheath.

But there is at least one argument for having a heavy-duty dive knife.
Once I did see another diver use his BFN to cut an opening in an abandoned rope fishing net, and free a trapped Leopard Shark.
Most inspiring thing I’ve ever seen underwater.

I'd go cheapie. IDK why anyone would carry a knife in Cozumel

This is a case where Ebay is your friend. Search for a Blackie Collins dive knife from Wenoka. Should find one for $25 - $40 with sheath and straps. Some are BFKs [Big Friggin' Knives], others less so. All are built to last a lifetime and do, with very little in the way of maintenance. I break mine down and clean and lubricate annually.

This is a case where Ebay is your friend. Search for a Blackie Collins dive knife from Wenoka. Should find one for $25 - $40 with sheath and straps. Some are BFKs [Big Friggin' Knives], others less so. All are built to last a lifetime and do, with very little in the way of maintenance. I break mine down and clean and lubricate annually.

My BFK is is a Wenoka. When I carry it I have it on the inside of my left thigh. I have used it to cut myself loose from a rope fishing net. Probably the scariest dive I have ever made. I would have welcomed some James Bond spies.

Cheers -

Love my Titanium knife blade. I just abuse it and never wash it. 10 years and going strong, sharp, and can't rust. Looks and works like the day I bought it.

Those titanium knives aren’t sharp at all. And are very hard to sharpen. Very expensive.

OP get a Dir zone knife for 10-15 € or grind a small knife down and buy or stitch a cordura sheath for your waist strap. Like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 68
I go for the "inexpensive" type. Just rub them down with some silicone about once a year to make sure that you can still open them and to help protect them from rusting as much. I think I have used mine about 3 time in over 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom