Scooters for blowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You likely get the stink eye but nothing would stick in court. It's legal to take marine life at Blue Heron Bridge - but I'd be giving you a boat load of crap if I saw you doing it.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Was trying to settle this for a while, searching for why we were told it was illegal. Now I know. Thanks guys!

Lets all get our scooters and blow the red tide away!

I got this answer from the people that issue you your fossil permit

RE: Underwater Digging

HC
. Press the Enter key to open the contact card." style="unicode-bidi: embed; direction: ltr; user-select: text; cursor: pointer;">Hulbert,Richard C,JR <rhulbert@flmnh.ufl.edu>

|
Today, 8:53 AM
You

No. Use of any motorized device to excavate either river beds or seafloor is not allowed under the state’s fossil collecting permit system.

Richard C. Hulbert Jr.

Vertebrate Paleontology Collections Manager

Florida Museum of Natural History

Dickinson Hall, University of Florida

1659 Museum Road

Gainesville, Florida 32611-7800 USA

Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:50 PM
To: Hulbert,Richard C,JR
Subject: Underwater Digging

Dr. Hulbert,

This question has come up several times and wondered if you might have an answer.

Is the use of scooters to blow holes in the sea floor looking for fossils legal?

This is in state waters off Sarasota and Charlotte counties.

I have seen the destruction that some have caused in the past.

Thank you

Scott Matthews

Where is this specified. I thought fossil permits did not pertain to shark tooth collecting.

I got this answer from the people that issue you your fossil permit

Florida has a fossil permit for recreational collectors?

Yes, you are required to have a permit to take any fossils other than shark's teeth.

And you better have a fishing license if you take live shells, urchins and sand dollars.

Yes, you are required to have a permit to take any fossils other than shark's teeth.

And you better have a fishing license if you take live shells, urchins and sand dollars.

But how does that apply to using devices when you are only looking for shark teeth? Since yours implies the use for fossils with the necessary permit

Curious do you need such a permit for taking of various other fossils found while going for shark teeth? Such as dungeon ribs etc.

Curious do you need such a permit for taking of various other fossils found while going for shark teeth? Such as dungeon ribs etc.

Yes. A permit is required to take any vertebrate fossils from non-private land in Florida. Sharks teeth are specifically excluded from the vertebrate permit requirements, but if you hope to take anything else best to be legal.

Florida Fossil Permit :: Florida Museum of Natural History

Sooo...you are saying that there’s nothing illegal about dredging with a scooter...as long as one is only taking sharks teeth. Got it.

That is my assumption as well... Man. They need to just write this down somewhere lol

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom