Fear and Trepidation - Pace Maker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry. Her bio listed her as a cardiologist. Best info I had.

I agree. The lady on the phone looked her up and was also surprised. Her hyperbaric knowledge got her certified by the undersea hyperbaric assn or something like that, but no cardiology. She treats DCS and wounds.
Cheers -

Dr. Fife's primary specialty is wounds but she's also past president of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, which is a scientific consortium that, among other things, looks at the available evidence for particular hyperbaric oxygen therapy applications and provides approval for indications for which there's sufficient evidence. She is also a strong advocate for the hyperbaric community in obtaining reimbursement for services, which can be challenging in today's climate.

Best regards,
DDM

Finally got in to see a cardiologist. He ordered a 24-hour Halter monitor. - Completed. He ordered an Echo Cardiogram. - Completed. He ordered a Stress test. - Not so fast. Have to wait until sometime in NOVEMBER! to complete. I'm working on it but still don't have a firm appointment to have my stress test. There are several things that came out of my appointment with him. 1) He is a diver! Yippee! 2) He uses St. Jude Pacemakers, which are diving friendly. 3) He won't give me a diagnosis until he has the results from all 3 "tests", but he said, based on my symptoms and his examination, he's leaning toward a pacemaker. and 4) We talked about diving together, which would mean that I would have a cardiologist right next to me if something happened! Not THAT'S a real plus.

Still waiting but not quite so anxious.

Cheers -

Well, I guess it's time for an update. I've done the Holter monitor for 24 hours and the Echo Cardiogram. From that Doc observed A-Fib as well as tachycardia (143) AND bradycardia (36). Did a nuclear stress test which solidified his opinion. I now have a Loop Monitor inserted under my skin over my heart which reports what my heart has done in the last 24 hours.

I may be a wimp, but the insertion of the Loop Monitor was one of the most painful events I can remember. It only lasted for less than a minute, but WOW! It was when they injected the local anesthetic (Lidocaine). They said, "This may sting." They obviously have not had this done to themselves.

The doc has put me on a medication which is supposed to regulate my heartbeat rate. I THINK it's working. He also put me on a blood thinner because of the A-Fib. He said he MAY take me off of the blood thinner after a while.

After he went through all of the stuff going on and the meds, my doctor then said I can do anything I want to do. I asked about diving and he said, "Sure. Why not?". He even said I could climb my tower and work on my radio antenna. His only concern was if I cut myself somehow. He is concerned that I may not clot well due to the blood thinners.
Bottom line is I now have a positive attitude about this and look forward to my next trip. I'm planning a trip for my birthday in January.

Cheers -

Consider keeping a decent one-hand tourniquet and a pressure bandage around. Like a CAT and an Israeli Bandage, both of which you can get from amazon as well as more specialized resellers. You'll probably never need them...

Consider keeping a decent one-hand tourniquet and a pressure bandage around. Like a CAT and an Israeli Bandage, both of which you can get from amazon as well as more specialized resellers. You'll probably never need them...
Thanks. I picked up some BLEEDSTOP at Wal-Mart. I hadn't considered the one-hand tourniquet, but will look into it. Thanks again.

Cheers -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom