Flights SOQ > TPE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello friends,

We will be heading back to SFO after an RA dive trip next Feb. We want to go SOQ > TPE (We will use EVA to get back to SF), the best routing is:

SOQ > CGK (direct) Garuda arrives CGK 10:05am
CGK > TPE (direct) EVA leaves CGK 14:20 (2:20pm)

However I do not see a way to buy this on a single ticket, which will picking up our baggage in CGK and problems if that SOQ > CGK flight is significantly delayed.

Any suggestions? Anyone know of a travel agent in Indo that could maybe do it for us?

Thanks,

Bill

www.nusatrip.com
best website for booking any indonesian domestic flight
but be aware there are often delays or changes.... 4hrs should be enough but you may want to think about spending an extra night in CGK to be sure

Bill,

I took that same routing in October 2017. I bought as a separate ticket and cushioned it. We stayed overnight in Jakarta just in case. Plus, it was nice to get a night’s rest before embarking on a transpacific after a jaunt from Sorong plus the layover.

I bought Garuda and Batik. I booked Garuda direct and booked Batik via Nusatrip, a very reliable website.

I can get it as an option with the China Airlines flight on Priceline, but not with EVA. Interesting conundrum. (Priceline and Orbitz are two go-to's for those who like to combine obscure airlines to work some benefits into travel). I think it's a fine layover if on one ticket. Travel agent that you mention is the right idea though.

Garuda and China Airlines are both Skyteam airlines, whereas Eva Air is Star Alliance. From my experience, it's easy to combine airlines from the same alliance, but I've very seldom seen it done when the airlines are from different alliances.

If you buy through Orbitz and piece together flights from different alliances and that have no code shares, do you know if you actually get 1 e-ticket number or whether you get different ones? That is the question. While you may buy it "together", if it is not under 1 e-ticket number, it is not considered an "online connection" to the airline and it would be the same as having 2 different tickets bought separately should you run into any issues with delays. e.g., if you are late from Sorong to Jakarta and miss the Sorong flight, you will be seen as a no-show. I would double check this detail.

It's normal to have different record locators for different airlines even under 1 e-ticket number (e.g., I have an itinerary that is Star Alliance and I am flying on United, Lufthansa, and Egypt Air all on 1 e-ticket number but I have 2 different record locators, 1 for United and a separate one for Lufthansa and EgyptAir). Sometimes it can also fall under just 1 record locator.

Bill, If you are still looking for a local travel agent, contact Rendy Toule at come2indonesia, located in Denpasar. Rendy is helpful and certainly knowledgeable about domestic flights. His email address is tour2@come2indonesia.com. If you contact Rendy, give him my regards.

If you buy through Orbitz and piece together flights from different alliances and that have no code shares, do you know if you actually get 1 e-ticket number or whether you get different ones?

Yes, you do, almost always. If it is not, it should have a warning. For some online sights though, like skyscanner, it is common NOT to have them linked. So you do have to be careful. (Although it seems like it is moot, a TA has been recommended and can handle this one better as it is for some reason very difficult to force a SOQ-TPE connection on EVA.)

FWIW we decided that we needed to go back to SIN, so we went Garuda SOQ > UPG > CGK > SIN in one day, one ticket all the way. This will be in Feb 2019.

Next day to TPE then home to SFO for the first time since Sept 2017 (but I can't remember that far back).

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom