PADI Rescue - Bait & switch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I signed up, and paid for the PADI Rescue course last month. Then, yesterday, I was told that there are some new changes/updates in the course and I would need to pay an additional fee. "How much?" I asked. Don't know. They will find out.
The updates, I'm told, include the addition of Emergency First Response, and training in the proper handling and providing of oxygen to an injured diver. I think this is good, and I really don't mind paying a little more for this education. But don't tell my LDS, 'cause I'm really enjoying giving them some smack, and accusing them of used-car-salesman-type bait and switch - all in fun, of course. :wink:
Anyway, what have you heard about the new PADI Rescue Course? What do you think about the changes?

The Emergency First Response is a separate course to the Rescue. You need it or the equivalent (Senior First Aid from St John's or similar) as a requisite for Rescue Certification. This should have been discussed before you even signed up!

Oxygen training is again another course and is not required for Rescue certification. It is a valuable course, but I for one would be a mite ticked at what seems to have happened to you.

alcina:
The Emergency First Response is a separate course to the Rescue. You need it or the equivalent (Senior First Aid from St John's or similar) as a requisite for Rescue Certification. This should have been discussed before you even signed up!

Oxygen training is again another course and is not required for Rescue certification. It is a valuable course,...
Not any more, Alcina. That's the point. Check this out: http://www.padi.com/english/americas/news/101904-release/

Rick,

Your LDS was not pulling your leg about the changes in the PADI Rescue Course. As you probably know it use to require two days of open water diving to do all the skills. The revision which just came out now allows most of the skills to be done in a pool setting and only one day of open water training which will include at least one search and recovery acticity.

CPR/First Aid is required to be completed before the certification can be finished. That's probably where they're getting the additional fee as this is a separate course.

Just had this discussion with one of the Master Instructors at my LDS while we were teaching tonight.

Jim
Louisiana

Rick Inman:
I signed up, and paid for the PADI Rescue course last month. Then, yesterday, I was told that there are some new changes/updates in the course and I would need to pay an additional fee. "How much?" I asked. Don't know. They will find out.
The updates, I'm told, include the addition of Emergency First Response, and training in the proper handling and providing of oxygen to an injured diver. I think this is good, and I really don't mind paying a little more for this education. But don't tell my LDS, 'cause I'm really enjoying giving them some smack, and accusing them of used-car-salesman-type bait and switch - all in fun, of course. :wink:
Anyway, what have you heard about the new PADI Rescue Course? What do you think about the changes?

OK...changes always cause confusion. I still think your LDS is a little off base as the changes are not that great.

The EFR course or similar is required before Rescue now. It is still a separate course. Instructors might set it up as under one umbrella but it isn't all part of the Rescue Course.

All changes come in as of 30 June 2005 so nothing needs be done now.

The oxygen training in the Rescue course update is introductory only and is not complete training. You still need to do the oxy course if that interests you.

alcina:
OK...changes always cause confusion. I still think your LDS is a little off base as the changes are not that great.

The EFR course or similar is required before Rescue now. It is still a separate course. Instructors might set it up as under one umbrella but it isn't all part of the Rescue Course.

All changes come in as of 30 June 2005 so nothing needs be done now.

The oxygen training in the Rescue course update is introductory only and is not complete training. You still need to do the oxy course if that interests you.
Hummm... Ok, questions is, money back? Insist on "old" course? Or pay (??) for new course?

I can't really answer that one...you'll have to ask some questions. There is potential for the new course to be more intensive and cost more to run; there is also the potential to have it pretty much the same! As far as we have been able to determine we will not have to increase our current Rescue Course fees by much, if any, simply to meet the new course curriculum. Materials (we do not have our 2005 list as yet) and other factors may influence a price change though.

You need to find out what you are getting to see if it is good value. Make sure you are getting all the new materials and that the shop is using the updated videos/DVDs etc. Make sure if you are paying for the EFR that you are getting the whole course.

As I understand it, you must hold that certification (or similar) before you can do the Rescue Course under the new standards; specifically before the 2nd knowledge/rescue training sessions (in the new course, Open Water Students can do KS & RTS 1 w/o the CPR/1st Aid or Advanced OW). BUT as these standards do not take full effect until July 1st next year, there is still some room for an instructor to move on that.

You may very well have paid a fair price. But it isn't OK for them to tell you that EFR and Oxygen training are included in the new Rescue Course as that isn't actually true - they are both separate courses and the oxygen training in the new course is introductory only.

The courses taught together are very worthwhile courses to take. I can see how you would be sore, I probably would be too.

It's still good information.

TwoBit

Rick Inman:
Hummm... Ok, questions is, money back? Insist on "old" course? Or pay (??) for new course?
I would decide if I want the "new" course its pretty much the old course with standards changes for the instructor, like they can teach most of it in the pool not a bad move from padi but no way its costing you more I would think if it has cost because the pool hire then ask to have the class in open water. not your fault is it and it has been said new date for must do is June so its not padi's fault.

Rick Inman:
Hmmmmmm, unless I missed something on PADI's site, then I smell a rat or a badly performed first sale.

The EFR or (MFA as was) has always been a prereq for Rescue. It is usually sold seperately (although one LDS near here bundles it) as it is a stand alone course in its own right.

O2 is a seperate course and according to PADIs site not a prereq for Rescue. (not to say that it's not a good idea to do with Rescue though)

Quoted from PADI site
What do I need to start?

You can enroll in the Rescue Diver Course as a certified Open Water Diver and participate in the Rescue Diver knowledge development and rescue training sessions, in confined water only, while working on your Advanced Open Water Diver certification.
Minimum age: 15 years old (12 for PADI Junior Rescue Diver)
Successful completion of a sanctioned CPR program within the past 24 months. The Emergency First Response Primary Care (CPR) and Secondary Care (First Aid) courses meet these requirements.

Personally I think the whole course should be done in Open water, not many rescues will be done in 3 to 15 ft of water now will they ? You should be made to suffer for this course, as S*d's Law says it'll be the third (4th) dive of the day when you need to help someone. You need to be made tired, stressed (p*ssed off) and then told to react to a situation. Surprising what that does to you later when you dive as a buddy again.

IMHO, allowing this to take place in a pool is a dumbing down of the course.

Let the flames start :11: :wink:

Hoppy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom