Dive knives: Tester's choice or go cheapie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spyderco makes line cutters for saving whales and makes the Salt line of knives for diving. A folding knife that uses nitrogen in the steel. Will not rust, will last a lifetime, Is steel not titanium, Sharp as a scalpel, In my BC Pocket with a lanyard, cant be seen. Replaces shears.
Better to have and not need than need and not have.

NOT CHEAP so not for most.

Marine - Spyderco, Inc.

I always hear about how it's inevitable that you'll lose your knife. It's weird. Because I bought a couple titanium knives ten years ago when I was first gearing up, and I've never lost one.
I did lose a torch once, because the knot came loose. Got back and the boat and had just the clip left.

Spyderco makes line cutters for saving whales and makes the Salt line of knives for diving. A folding knife that uses nitrogen in the steel. Will not rust, will last a lifetime, Is steel not titanium, Sharp as a scalpel, In my BC Pocket with a lanyard, cant be seen. Replaces shears.
Better to have and not need than need and not have.

NOT CHEAP so not for most.

Marine - Spyderco, Inc.

benchmade has some nice marine knives as well. I use the 7 line cutter in caves, though it isn't cheap.

It all depends on what you need the knife for. As a warm water vacation diver I made sure my knife would tuck away nicely into my poodle jacket BCD shoulder strap AND cleanly slice up the pineapple during my SI.

Never lost it. Never used it underwater. Glad I did not pay much for it...

In Cozumel they want you to put the prohibited item in the bucket.. I had to come up with an (invented) medical certification to wear the gloves... and hide my knife in a pocket.
I may accept to dive without a knife in a Caribbean protected area (where it's not easy to get entangled because of no nets and such) but not without gloves (as I never dive without a full suit, no matter the water temperature) because u never know with what you may get in contact, even unintentionally.
Those rules aren't in place to protect you, they are there to protect the ecosystem you are a VISITOR to. Thanks for not protecting the environment. If you can't respect the rules, don't dive there

Those rules aren't in place to protect you, they are there to protect the ecosystem you are a VISITOR to. Thanks for not protecting the environment. If you can't respect the rules, don't dive there

You really don't understand how it works: the environment is safeguarded by not touching the life, not by not wearing the suit and gloves. The suit and gloves should be worn for your own safety, it has nothing to do with environment... unless you wear gloves that disperses pollution in the water (!).

If you get in contact with something inadvertently, you will get in contact with or without the middle (material) layer. Having your skin not directly exposed to the environment is a safety measure that doesn't impact on the environment (is quite the opposite).

For me you can dive naked if you wish... it's just stupid and not safe. Good luck.. and pay attention to the tube fishes at your back. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom