Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your second trunkfish is a juvie scrawled cowfish.

you're welcome!
Looking at the REEF FISH ID book, 4th edition, the top one may be a honeycomb cowfish.
Though, I know the buffalo is pretty common at the bridge..

I have been getting pictures and secondhand reports on social media about a fish collecting team from Texas coming down to BHB and stripping the area clean of fishes. Is there any additional information about this?

Turns out that Palm Beach County's Parks and Recreation Director has said the county doesn’t have the authority to stop a business entering the area by boat to harvest fish, or a resident from taking fish for their home aquariums aquariums and fish stores from coming to the park and taking the tropical fish. AND a local ordinance cannot preempt the State when it comes to setting fishing rules, or in this case, the taking of tropical fish.

And interfering with the legal harvesting is a violation of Florida law. (379.401)

I've been following the situation concerning the collection of fish on the 'Blue Heron Bridge Dive Club' group on Facebook.
Mood Gardens Aquarium in Galveston, Texas A & M University and The Smithsonian Marine Station in Ft Pierce were issued a permit by FWC to collect from multiple sites.

There's a petition Jim Abernethy started to end commercial & hobbyist collection at the bridge. Think all who enjoy BHB should let their voice be heard.
Sign the Petition

Texas A&M University has released this public statement. It contradicts several statements made on social media. It also clearly indicated that a professor at the university was the person that actually held the collecting permit, but that professor was not part of the actual collecting team. The professor was not identified. Statement on Recent Specimen Collection Activities in Florida - Texas A&M Galveston, TX

"One graduate student in the Marine Biology interdisciplinary program, who also serves as a part-time employee of the non-profit Moody Gardens Aquarium, participated as a member of the collection team. He, working under his advisor, had a permit to work with the team and collect."

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom