Question about learning deco procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am simply pointing out that for a huge portion of the dive community, when they use the phrase "recreational dive," they are referring to a dive that does not include mandatory decompression stops. For a huge portion of the dive community, when they use the phrase "decompression dive," they mean a dive that requires decompression stops. When enough people use a term to mean something and enough people understand what they mean when they do, then that is what the term means...

i agree with you by and large. However, this is an international forum and I think you must take into account the many and varied readers that access it. I use the meanings you list in my day to day language. But here - in our global society - I try to be more precise so as not to confuse or lose meaning. In English the term "twinset" can refer to an item of jewellery or a pair of scuba tanks joined together. Out of courtesy to our good friends in the US I use the term doubles so as to be clear. Doubles are large drinks.

The colloquial term for a cigarette in the UK has a very different meaning from the same word in the US, although we (Brits) have borrowed the term "bum" meaning to beg from the US vernacular. Begging a cigarette from a stranger could be quite a hazardous thing if one was unaware of these alternate meanings. (Bum in English is bottom - a hobo in English is a tramp and a tramp is a tart..)

I dive for recreation, not professionally. I am a recreational diver.

In my previous posts I use the term "no-stop" so there is no ambiguity rather than the term no-deco which is not strictly true. But I agree that a "decompression dive" implies that decompression is planned rather than takes place due to a slow ascent.

I used to work for a US company and write reports that were read in many instances by non native English speakers. A car bonnet (hat) is a hood and a trunk (part of an Elephant) is a boot (footwear). In the US people wear fannypacks which is funny if you speak English as a different part of the anatomy is implied.

As there are more people in the US than in the UK and many more US posters on here I try to speak American (Spanish). But - just for amusement and pedantry - be careful in your assumption that what you perceive as common usage defines meaning. :D

I am talking about terminology, not physics. Yes, all diving requires decompression of some sort during ascent. No question about it.

I am simply pointing out that for a huge portion of the dive community, when they use the phrase "recreational dive," they are referring to a dive that does not include mandatory decompression stops. For a huge portion of the dive community, when they use the phrase "decompression dive," they mean a dive that requires decompression stops. When enough people use a term to mean something and enough people understand what they mean when they do, then that is what the term means.

For a large portion of the dive community outside the US, the term "recreational dive" does not exclude mandatory decompression stops. Outside the US, it's very easy to get recreational scuba training with mandatory decompression stops.
There is confusion however over terms such as "mandatory safety stop" as used by PADI and Suunto, a term used by many without understanding the difference to mandatory decompression stops and recommended safety stops.

Interesting, so in some ways (deco) BSAC does more than AOW. In others (max depth) BSAC is less. Many us agencies have a max depth of 130' (43m) in regular open water courses, although they still include "deep diving" in AOW.

Personally, I'd say it's just different.
what agencies have 43m for open water????

IIRC, IANTD was member of the CMAS technical committee (is it still?) but does not follow CMAS standards nor do they issue CMAS brevets. BSAC was a founding member of CMAS but got expelled in 1997.
Following BSAC leaving CMAS, CMAS nearly went to the wall through lack of funding which previously came from BSAC. That’s when CMAS started running their own courses in competition with national CMAS agencies. Funny really as that’s what they accused BSAC of. ISO 24801, ISO 24802 and ISO 11107 cover recreational diving, scuba instructors and Nitrox.

what agencies have 43m for open water????

Metric and Imperial Rounding differences PADI is 30m AoW and 40m with Deep Speciality in the metric system

BSAC Ocean Diver Post Qualification Depth progression is to 20m (don't know what the Cert depth is)

BSAC Sport diver Depth progression from cert is 25m, 30m & 35m

@kelemvor is kinda correct in that the BSAC depths are more conservative. They also require a minimum number of divers in between certifications. However at Diver leader after teh depth progression dives you are certified deeper

That’s when CMAS started running their own courses in competition with national CMAS agencies. Funny really as that’s what they accused BSAC of.

Yes BSAC was expelled for offering courses outside UK, competing with other CMAS members in their local regions. And there's still trouble today with this topic, for example with Protec and CMAS Baltic.
But since when does CMAS run their own courses in competition with national agencies? CMAS does not run courses; all training is delivered by local federations.

I think the main point I was trying to make was that when people (at lest people on this side of the pond) use the term "decompression dive" to differentiate the dive from a"recreational dive" that does not have required stops, they don't need a sanctimonious lecture about how decompression happens on all dives. They know that.

Don't mean to hijack the thread in anyway, but can anyone suggest good instructors for AN/DP in Tampa area or within central Florida?

late to the party but Paul Heinerth is in Hudson and has been teaching cave and technical diving as long as anyone. Look him up too during your scouting process

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom